Newbie Alert

fju2112

Hi all

besides reading one or two threads on here, one of which pointed to a knock sensor issue, i don't know much about lexus but my wife was quite taken with a Lexus ES300. we're going to trade in her car for the Lexus. It's a 2000 ES300 w/ 85K miles and is labeled with a "platinum series" badge, which my research online points to upgraded styling but i'm not quite sure what else? I have either owned Honda or Mercedes-Benz my entire life, but I know plenty of Lexus owners who spoke highly of the car. My mechanic will be looking at it within a day or two and then the deal will be completed.

just wanted to know - the car will be driven 5-7K miles per year, and I wanted to know what to watch out for - typical problems you owners have had after doing some basic searches on this forum. i know that i will want to do spark plugs and complete fluid changes in about 10K miles, but does this car use a timing belt or timing chain? and again, any other typical issues you owners have had.

thanks very much, looking forward to owning my first Lexus! :)

The 2000 ES300 uses a timing belt. The belt should be changed at 90K miles, and they usually change the water pump also, at this time, since it's in the same area of the belt, and the part is not too expensive. Generally, this is recommended.

BTW: Lexus engines always used timing belts until 2007, when they changed to timing chains.

In addition to what amf has mentioned, if you can get the car with all service records that would be a plus. The 1997 - 2001's have an engine gel issue that affects those vehicles that have not been maintained properly. Other than that, these cars are pretty much bullet proof. Good luck.

:cheers:

In addition to what amf has mentioned, if you can get the car with all service records that would be a plus. The 1997 - 2001's have an engine gel issue that affects those vehicles that have not been maintained properly. Other than that, these cars are pretty much bullet proof. Good luck.

thanks guys

im a bit nervous about buying this car at 85K miles and then having to do timing belt/water pump 5K miles later. I guess that could be up to 10 months away, so maybe it's not that big a deal, but as i understand it, timing belts can snap suddenly and cause serious damage where timing chains usually give you symptoms and a bit more time to act.

also what oil is recommended? i use mobil-1 by manufacturer recommendation on the E320. did these come w/ synthetic from the factory; i'm guessing they did not. if it does not currently have synth oil in it i'm definitely putting some in at the first oil change.

also what oil is recommended? i use mobil-1 by manufacturer recommendation on the E320. did these come w/ synthetic from the factory; i'm guessing they did not. if it does not currently have synth oil in it i'm definitely putting some in at the first oil change.

They did not come with synthetic from the factory....but I too use only synthetics in my vehicles (moved from Mobil 1 to Amsoil personally which a better product). Perhaps if you can get the service records, that might shed some light on what the previous owner used......but definately go with synthetic & a high quality oil filter when you get the car. B)

Not to worry about the TB & WP.......get that out of the way & your good to go for many years. ;)

going to search and post about this now, but the car is pulling P0171 code, engine light on, and TRAC OFF light is on.

ahhhhh...what is going on??? dealership will have to fix of course but still...???

thanks guys

im a bit nervous about buying this car at 85K miles and then having to do timing belt/water pump 5K miles later. I guess that could be up to 10 months away, so maybe it's not that big a deal, but as i understand it, timing belts can snap suddenly and cause serious damage where timing chains usually give you symptoms and a bit more time to act.

Your engine is a non interference type which means that if the timing belt breaks all that will happen is the motor will stop. There is upper cyl. clearence and no "damage" will occur to the valves etc. If the water pump leaks coolant onto the belt, over time it will dry and crack. Thats also why they are usually done at the same time to kind of keep them in good shape together. Good luck with your es

going to search and post about this now, but the car is pulling P0171 code, engine light on, and TRAC OFF light is on.

ahhhhh...what is going on??? dealership will have to fix of course but still...???

Definetly get the dealership to fix that code, could be no more than a bad gas cap, but could also be a dirty MAF sensor.

Definetly get the dealership to fix that code, could be no more than a bad gas cap, but could also be a dirty MAF sensor.

thanks again guys, am taking it to dealership on Monday to fix the code. Thanks for the valuable input.

How easy is it to get at the fog lights on this car? On my E320 there's a little plastic flap by the wheelwell which cna be used to access and cahnge the bulbs, typically without having to put the car on a lift. haven't had a chance to get under her yet :)