1995 Ls400 Wheels

techmech74

Hello to All the Proud LS400 owners:

Just purchased a 1995 LS400 with 130K miles. Need to find out the true facts on what size wheels I could upgrade to without altering

the suspension. I've read so many stories that I'm really getting confused. I've got 225/60/16 wheels on the car now and am looking

at possibly going to 245/45/18. Give me your expertise Club members

Thanks- techmech74

Your question has been discussed numerous times on this forum and other Lexus forums including clublexus.com . You might consider doing a search both here and on other Lexus forums. There is a search and a "more search options" feature at the top right of this screen.

I've been watching a thread on clublexus.com where a guy bought an 05 LS430 with the optional 18" wheels and 245/45-18 tires. He hates the punishing ride and is searching for the standard smaller wheels and tires. And remember, his LS430 has a more compliant suspension that can better cope with larger wheels --> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326908

The short & sweet of it is - the shorter your sidewall, the more tire pressure you'll need to protect your rims. This makes it harder for your suspension to give you the ride that Lexus engineers design for the car. You can't change just one part of your suspension. All the parts work in a finely tuned balance. It depends on what your priorities are. On the track 50 lbs is what you'll need to make the car handle competitively and to take full advantage of a race suspension setup (spring rate/shocks/sway bars). In the city, you're not going to have the smooth pavement of a track. So if you don't mind slowing down for all the inevitable potholes until you find a short stretch of smooth road to peel out on, then go plus one or even plus two; but if comfortable cruising is a priority, by all means change your wheels but keep the same size. Unless you dial in changes for the rest of your setup to match any tire/wheel size change, you might be rudely surprised.

i got a 1991 ls lexus my brother n law has a shop and i put on 245 40 18 on my lexus it was great nice looking make a difference but tires are expensive and it will reuin ur control arms and brakes quick i just had all this done this year it cost alot so stick with orginal or something like 15 unless u got the money why not that ur choice

i got a 1991 ls lexus my brother n law has a shop and i put on 245 40 18 on my lexus it was great nice looking make a difference but tires are expensive and it will reuin ur control arms and brakes quick i just had all this done this year it cost alot so stick with orginal or something like 15 unless u got the money why not that ur choice

If you want a cool looking car? Put them on. I have a 94LS it came with the same tire size as yours. I bought Lexus oem rims from a 04 430 LS. Before checking tire prices. Be ready for sticker shock if you want a good tire. I put on Bridgestone AS 960's 245/45/18 at the tune of 1200 dollars after all said and done. I am very happy with the tire but not the ride. I could really tell the difference very quickly from the stock size. I bought the tire because it has a 40,000 mile warranty! Most tires that size only get 25 to 30,000 miles out of them! Good luck!! BTW I live in the OC so you can expect the same type of ride! Good luck!