Brakes Pads Need Changing On '03 Ls430?

PilotguyPA28

Bought it at 30,000 miles with pretty new Michelins. I have 32K now and just wondering if I just wait for the brake warning light or take it in for someone to look at? Can I trust the warning light? I have no proof the original owner changed the brakes out (I'm the 2nd owner).

Thanks in advance.

If you dont know how the previous owner used the car or where it came from (mountains wear brakes more than flat land) just take it to your shop or a tire store and ask them to check the pads.

I personally would not use the wear warning light to decide on brake pad replacement.

Personally, I'd never wait for a warning light. There's no need to. A quick check to see where your pads are at - check your brake fluid level. If it's on the mark and you have no leaks, then your pads are ok. But nothing beats a visual check to see how much is left. Break pad wear is directly proportional to the type of driving/breaking you do (aggressive - or towing a trailer) and where you do it (flat/hills/mountains). It' not unheard of for a set to last over 100k.

Personally, I'd never wait for a warning light. There's no need to. A quick check to see where your pads are at - check your brake fluid level. If it's on the mark and you have no leaks, then your pads are ok. But nothing beats a visual check to see how much is left. Break pad wear is directly proportional to the type of driving/breaking you do (aggressive - or towing a trailer) and where you do it (flat/hills/mountains). It' not unheard of for a set to last over 100k.

I wait for the warning message to display on the trip computer before replacing the pads. The original front pads on my 00 LS were replaced recently at about 85,000 miles. I expect the rear pads to last about 120,000 miles -- same as on my prevous LS. The repair shop that maintains our cars can sometimes reuse the sensors.

I visually check the thickness of the brake pads when I rotate the wheels -- every 5,000 miles. They are pretty easy to see when the wheels are off.