What Tires Do You Run On Your Gs 300

Hello Guys & Gals,

So far I have been through two sets of tires at the shop Continental ProContacts and Goodyear Assurance 215/60/16s

I now am going to try the Michelin Primacy MXV4s.

What tires do you currently use that you have had good luck with? The Primacys are H rated and the other ones were T rated I am hoping that was the problem.

The Lexus dealer said with the sport tuned suspension the GS is very finicky and I have found that to be very true.

Thanks

JT

Lexus engineers tuned Gen2 suspension with Goodyear tires in mind. Excellent all season choices are the Goodyear Eagle GT HR or the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge. If you don't need all season then Eagle F1 is the way to go. My buddy has a tire shop and I've been able to purchase NOS Goodyear Invicta GA tires from him all three times I've needed tires.

My GS400 came from the factory with Bridgestone tires on the 17 inch optional wheels. Manufacturers don't "tune" suspension to any particular brand, or in the case of the GS cars, size, as both 16 and 17 wheels could be ordered, and no suspension changes were needed between the two.

The MXV4 Michelins ride great, but they handle and steer like marshmallows. I have Michelin Pilot AS Sport tires on the GS and Michelin Exalto's on the LS. Both are exceptional tires for traction and handling, and ride very well. You'd be happy with either. Neither tire was available when the cars were new, and both tires represent technologies not known when the cars were built. So both cars handle and ride better than they did when new.

I wouldn't put Goodyears on a wheelbarrow, but then I am biased.

I agree with SRK, as my GS4 also came from the factory with turmoline 17" rims (or whatever they're called) and Bridgestone tires. I have since had Dunlop, Michelins, Kumho's, Toyo's, and Hankooks. All nice tires, all ride well. I really like the Michelins, but a little pricey for me. The Kumho's were a good all-weather tire, and lasted about 30K miles. I have Hankooks on it now, rides really, really nice, and they're not too expensive. (approx $125.00/tire) Good luck..............

Spaseman

Hello Guys & Gals,

So far I have been through two sets of tires at the shop Continental ProContacts and Goodyear Assurance 215/60/16s

I now am going to try the Michelin Primacy MXV4s.

What tires do you currently use that you have had good luck with? The Primacys are H rated and the other ones were T rated I am hoping that was the problem.

The Lexus dealer said with the sport tuned suspension the GS is very finicky and I have found that to be very true.

Thanks

JT

Michelin Pilot Sports :cheers: V rated

I talked with my mechanic and decided to go With the V Rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.(Minnesota Driver)

I hope these do the trick, I think the V rated sidewall is an important part of the puzzle.

Thanks for your Input,

Yes the Goodyears I have deserve to be on a wheel barrow:)

JT

I talked with my mechanic and decided to go With the V Rated Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.(Minnesota Driver)

I hope these do the trick, I think the V rated sidewall is an important part of the puzzle.

Thanks for your Input,

Yes the Goodyears I have deserve to be on a wheel barrow:)

JT

You will be very satisfied with your decision :cheers: I am also in your neck of the woods.............

My GS400 came from the factory with Bridgestone tires on the 17 inch optional wheels. Manufacturers don't "tune" suspension to any particular brand, or in the case of the GS cars, size, as both 16 and 17 wheels could be ordered, and no suspension changes were needed between the two.

The MXV4 Michelins ride great, but they handle and steer like marshmallows. I have Michelin Pilot AS Sport tires on the GS and Michelin Exalto's on the LS. Both are exceptional tires for traction and handling, and ride very well. You'd be happy with either. Neither tire was available when the cars were new, and both tires represent technologies not known when the cars were built. So both cars handle and ride better than they did when new.

I wouldn't put Goodyears on a wheelbarrow, but then I am biased.

Manufacturer's do indeed tune suspension to a particular brand of tire, even to the degree where a tire is actually created specifically for a car. It is done on highline vehicles like Ferrari and on less expensive vehicles like Saturn. If memory serves, Firestone created a special Firehawk tire in a Saturn-specific size and tread pattern for the SC model of the early '90s. I could quote a host of cases for highline vehicles but that really doesn't apply here. I don't want to start a fire on this thread SRK, but you are wrong.

I guess my thought is certain suspensions need certain sidewall stiffness. Which would make sense that the GS calls for V rated tires which have a very stiff sidewall compared to say a T or H rated.

JT

Correct, which is why I really like the carbon-fiber construction of the Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge. Do I sound like a Goodyear employee? :D I honestly have no affiliation with them but I do like their tires for the Gen2 GS on either 16" or 17" wheels.

I don't want to interrupt the brawl but I'm using the Exalto's as well... great tires, decent price, and good thread life.

I agree - the Exalto's on my LS have transformed the car. The stock tires rode OK, but the handling was terrible. Now the car is more like a BMW. So much for "tuning"......and they are H-rated!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey

I also got the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S from this thread. I put them on a few days ago and it snowed. These tires are great. Yes they are a bit rougher and have give off noise, but man do they stick.

The snow outside is forming into ice and while many struggle, these tires didnt slip.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S all the way!