90 Ls400 Speedometer Problems

janbivalent

We just purchased a 1990 LS400 and noticed that the speedometer and tachometer do not register. The lights on the control panel are all well lit (day and night). The gas and temperature gauges both work correctly; however, the speedometer and tachometer do not work. Are there any suggestions at to what the problem could be and estimated cost to fix?

I called a couple Lexus dealerships and received probable causes from circuit board replacement to dash computer malfunction. Help! Thanks.

This has long been a common problem on the early LS models. It usually shows up when the weather is warm and then disappears when cooler weather arrives. You can often bring the needles to life by rapping on the dash directly above the needles. I am quite sure this has been discussed as part of the "instrument panel problems" sticky at the top of this section.

Several service facilities have recently come up with a fix for the sticking needles. Check out the website www.mrwhizard.com. As I recall, their repair costs somewhere around $200.00.

• 4 weeks later...