Car Selling Advice

hil400

I know I do not post much, but I do follow. I have a 1999 LS 400 with about 114,500 miles. I have had it since it had about 25,000 miles. It has been great. I also own a 2004 GMC Yukon with 80,000 miles. I need to sell one. My wife loves the LS, but is concerned that the GMC is safer for our youngest, because we can put her car seat in the middle and use the anchors (the LS does not have them). Also, she feels the GMC is more practical for carrying things and hauling things. Can anybody convince me to sell the GMC instead? Thank you.

I can't...your points for keeping the GMC are exactly why I no longer have my LS, and instead have a 4Runner. With a baby on the way "our 1st", I can't image the frustration with having to haul all of that stuff in the LS. Best decision...keep both! But, practical decision, considering your family situation, if forced, I'd have to say keep the GMC, and return to the LS series later on when it fits better. But, not exactly what you were looking for in your question. LS is extremely safe, and certainly can take one honker of a hit and everyone will still walk away. Mileage is much better in the LS, no roll-over possiblity like in the GMC, and probably less likely to leave you stranded.

I can't...your points for keeping the GMC are exactly why I no longer have my LS, and instead have a 4Runner. With a baby on the way "our 1st", I can't image the frustration with having to haul all of that stuff in the LS. Best decision...keep both! But, practical decision, considering your family situation, if forced, I'd have to say keep the GMC, and return to the LS series later on when it fits better. But, not exactly what you were looking for in your question. LS is extremely safe, and certainly can take one honker of a hit and everyone will still walk away. Mileage is much better in the LS, no roll-over possiblity like in the GMC, and probably less likely to leave you stranded.

Thanks for the reply. That is where I am, just hoping someone could change my mind.

Thanks for the reply. That is where I am, just hoping someone could change my mind.

I would have to sell the LS is I was in your shoes...The LS's are great cars and even great family vehicles. The reason I say sell is because you will get better re-sale value on your LS and Lexus seems to sell alot better. But its hard to argue a car vs SUV, because 9/10 the SUV will win due to the space especially having a baby and they seem to be more feasable for family needs.

I would not keep the Yukon. At 80k that thing is getting ready to bite you, probably with the transmission. They are not inherently safer, because of the roll-over problem. Why not trade both in on an LX470? You get to have a Lexus, and have one that is arguably better in all respects than the Yukon.

Not knowing what your need to sell one of your vehicles is makes it hard to advise, I assume that it is financial. If your Yukon was a corvette then we would know that the decision would be WIFE based and since you have a child you can no longer have any toys..LOL

Based on Autotrader listings your 2004 Yukon is worth around 25K to 30K (assuming fully loaded) (range is 17K to 30K) I would say in 2 to 3 years it will be worth around 15K..

Your Lexus is worth 13 - 15K now and I would presume that it will be well worth over 10K in 2 - 3 Years. There will be a day when the Lexus will be worth more that your GMC

If your Yukon is paid off.. I would sell it now and take the money and buy a good used forerunner (with money left over) and still have two good safe vehicles. I have a friend you owes more than his Yukon is worth right now and he can't sell it without taking a huge hit...

That is really a hard decision to make as your decision should not be based financially but what is best for the safety and comfort of your child. Unfortunately with the economy the way that it is many of our decisions have to include that financial factor.

If you have to get rid of the GMC, No one could ever fault you for traveling with your Child in a lexus LS.

Good Luck in whatever decision you make