Hid Ballast Problem? You Tell Me

larful

One headlight on my 2002 LEXUS IS300 passanger side, that headlight has moisture inside and when I turn on the headlight it flickers for a bit then goes out. I tried a new light bulb that I purchased for 90 dollars. It wasnt the bulb so I returned the bulb, Now im thinking its the Head light ballast.....? Is that the only other thing it could be? Should I pull the head light dry it all out reseal it and put in a new ballast that I found on craigs list for 50 dollars.

:pirate:

well, it's definately your ballast. the moisture is starting to get to it. Try this first. Put your highbeams on while driving during the day and try to keep them on as long as possible until the inside dries out real well. HID doesn't produce enouph heat to do anything. Once you have it dry in there, see if you still have the flickering issue. If you do, then you'll have to replace the ballast, and when you do, don't try to seal it, that won't help. Instead, somewhere along the bottm and top drill a small hole to help vent the headlight better. You'll have better luck doing that.

Also, if after you dry the headlight out and you can see water spots and crud, and want to open the headlight and clean it I can show you how to do that also.

well, it's definately your ballast. the moisture is starting to get to it. Try this first. Put your highbeams on while driving during the day and try to keep them on as long as possible until the inside dries out real well. HID doesn't produce enouph heat to do anything. Once you have it dry in there, see if you still have the flickering issue. If you do, then you'll have to replace the ballast, and when you do, don't try to seal it, that won't help. Instead, somewhere along the bottm and top drill a small hole to help vent the headlight better. You'll have better luck doing that.

Also, if after you dry the headlight out and you can see water spots and crud, and want to open the headlight and clean it I can show you how to do that also.

thank you very much for your long reply, how do I open the head light itself? wont drilling hole make it worse?

i opened my headlights by heating the assembly in the oven on 300 degrees for like 10 minute intervals then slowly pry the pieces apart. if u are not very carefull u will crack the plastic and will have to get a new headlight. i did it n re sealed n still get moisture but not as bad.

i opened my headlights by heating the assembly in the oven on 300 degrees for like 10 minute intervals then slowly pry the pieces apart. if u are not very carefull u will crack the plastic and will have to get a new headlight. i did it n re sealed n still get moisture but not as bad.

uuhhh, 300 degrees is way over kill. try like 200-225 for about the same ten minutes. It's alot safer for the rest of the housing, and you can still use your hands to open it up easier.

Also, if you look closely at the construction of the headlight, you will see it is not a sealed design anyway. On the back where it's stamped Toyota, that is a tab that opens and reveals a foam covered vent. There is another vent with a black rubber hose on the back side near the narrow part of the headlight as well. So, resealing the headlight wouldn't really help anyway. Actually what I have found over time is that water gets pulled in thru the vent holes in the front bumper and is blown on the headlight housing from underneath and behind the bumper. So if you put a peice of plastic under the headlight behind the bumper, it should stop the water from having access to the headlight. Also, make sure the cap on the back is on tight.

uuhhh, 300 degrees is way over kill. try like 200-225 for about the same ten minutes. It's alot safer for the rest of the housing, and you can still use your hands to open it up easier.

Also, if you look closely at the construction of the headlight, you will see it is not a sealed design anyway. On the back where it's stamped Toyota, that is a tab that opens and reveals a foam covered vent. There is another vent with a black rubber hose on the back side near the narrow part of the headlight as well. So, resealing the headlight wouldn't really help anyway. Actually what I have found over time is that water gets pulled in thru the vent holes in the front bumper and is blown on the headlight housing from underneath and behind the bumper. So if you put a peice of plastic under the headlight behind the bumper, it should stop the water from having access to the headlight. Also, make sure the cap on the back is on tight.

So I replaced the ballast, the light works now, ill try to reseal maybe someday im chicken *BLEEP* about baking my headlight I think

I am having the same issue...anyone know a place to get the ballast and have a good part number? 2001 IS300. Tried Advance Auto and Autozone. Is it Lexus dealership only?

I ended up finding the ballast replacement by luck on a local CraigsList, otherwise I would find the lowest price bid on ebay for it. Im ignoring the mositure issue right now till I have a nice day to fix it