Questions For 1999 Lx470.... (help!)

photocycle

Hi,

I been looking for a truck/SUV as a daily driver and to tow my boat (2000lbs roughly).... today a close buddy said if I'm interested, he might be willing to sell his 99' LX470 to me for $12k. It currently is in good condition and has 140,000 miles. He's never had any major issues -- just regular maintenance. (he bought it for $20k when it had 100k miles) -- his reason for selling is because he's thinking of getting a newer model lx470.

I'm very tempted, but here are some questions hopefully you all can answer:

1. Is 140k miles something to be concerned about? Any personal experiences of your LX470 going over 200k with minimal problems? (I trust that its a toyota... but still... there's always some doubt)

2. Any engine/drive terrain/recall issues I should know about the 99' LX470?

3. Towing capability... will the frame hold out for towing 2000+ lbs? How about on long drives (road trips)? Can you punk/abuse this SUV or do you have to baby it cuz its luxury? (is it similar to toyota trucks where we can pretty much beat/abuse whatever the heck we want and still watch it live over 230k miles? - obviously with regular maintenance being done)

4. What do you guys average for mpg on gas? (Highway? City?)

5. Is the price of $12k fair? (your opinion)

6. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for those that help answer these questions!

Thanks and if you guys give good feedback... I may be a LX470 owner sooooooooooon!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new owner, but did a ton of research. My impression is that that mileage isn't much of an issue if it's been maintained well. Mine has 129K miles on it, was serviced regularly, and has had the transmission rebuilt (which I'm not certain, but have the impression that 140K is about when it'll be due). Get quotes to find out what that may cost (imho).

Don't know much about towing, but think you'd be fine. This is a hell of a big/heavy truck. But I'll refer back to my transmission comment above. : )

I think they're supposed to get 12/17, but usually you get slightly better than published if well maintained/proper tire pressure, etc.

From what I saw doing research, 12K is a fair price. I paid 16K, but with the transmission already rebuilt.

Good luck to you. I'd just have a well qualified mechanic check it out and see what they thought. That's what I did. I mentioned that I was considering a Tahoe with less miles, and they said I'd have a lot LESS problems with the Lexus despite the higher mileage, but that when you do have to do maintenance, it's generally more expensive.

Again, best of luck,

Greg

Hi,

I been looking for a truck/SUV as a daily driver and to tow my boat (2000lbs roughly).... today a close buddy said if I'm interested, he might be willing to sell his 99' LX470 to me for $12k. It currently is in good condition and has 140,000 miles. He's never had any major issues -- just regular maintenance. (he bought it for $20k when it had 100k miles) -- his reason for selling is because he's thinking of getting a newer model lx470.

I'm very tempted, but here are some questions hopefully you all can answer:

1. Is 140k miles something to be concerned about? Any personal experiences of your LX470 going over 200k with minimal problems? (I trust that its a toyota... but still... there's always some doubt)

2. Any engine/drive terrain/recall issues I should know about the 99' LX470?

3. Towing capability... will the frame hold out for towing 2000+ lbs? How about on long drives (road trips)? Can you punk/abuse this SUV or do you have to baby it cuz its luxury? (is it similar to toyota trucks where we can pretty much beat/abuse whatever the heck we want and still watch it live over 230k miles? - obviously with regular maintenance being done)

4. What do you guys average for mpg on gas? (Highway? City?)

5. Is the price of $12k fair? (your opinion)

6. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for those that help answer these questions!

Thanks and if you guys give good feedback... I may be a LX470 owner sooooooooooon!!!! :)

The LX is a good ol landcruiser. It is used worldwide as the vehicle of choice for military , militants , desert crossings, artic crossing and anything in between. It is truly indestructible in every way , you can run the engine at redline for an hour and a tire would blow before the engine. I know i sound overboard but if i ever wanted ultimate reliability in a harsh environment the LX is hands down.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The transmission should NOT need anything other than new Toyota ATF every 30K mi (or do a drain & fill of the pan every 15K mi). The only LX's I've heard of that have had tranny issues are the 2000's...apparently, there was a bad batch of shims when they were made, so some failed at only 60K mi.

The LX, although posh & luxurious, is basically the landcruiser (sold under the landcruiser label in some countries). In Australia, they tow trailers 1000 miles offroad across deserts including pond crossings, and the rated tow weight is 7700 lbs down there (5000 lbs in the US...I think it's a DOT thing, as the frame, drivetrain, body are all the same as the Oz version except they get the factory auxiliary fuel tank above the spare tire and use 10w30 oil [5w30 is for CAFE in the US only; the rest of the world uses thicker 10w30]). I've used 5w40 synthetic from day 1. The chief engineer of the Toyota landcruiser 100 series (98-07 LX470 & landcruiser) said the design life is 30 yrs. Keep in mind that in most countries, people buy like one or two cars their entire life. What do they buy? A toyota truck (albeit usually diesel since gas quality abroad is questionable and gas costs a lot more than diesel everywhere but in the USA).