Ps Fluid Level

saint_ex

Hello all,

I've recently performed a couple of PS drain and refills (on my '99 ES) and I've noticed something weird about the level of the PS fluid in the reservoir. I filled it up to max cold line (the engine was cold), and after driving it, I noticed that when the engine and the fluid heat up, that the fluid only goes up to MIN hot line.

So, should I add more fluid when the engine is cold. I mean, for the most part, the PS is not operating at cold temperatures but rather when it's hot, so I would much rather fill the reservoir with enough PS fluid to, at least, be in the middle of MIN and MAX when hot. However, at the same time, by doing that, I would exceed the MAX cold line and I don't know whether exceeding the MAX cold line is good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. It's not leaking. I've checked it every day for the past two weeks. Also, I have used the Toyota's Dexron III fluid (so that's not it either), and the same thing happens regardless of the distance traveled (even a 30km trip to work) - so it's not like I'm not giving it enough time to warm up.

The fluid gets heated up by turning , so if you drive the highway and only turn when you park it will only get to the hot min.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do spend most of the drive on the highway, but of the 31km to work, 9 km are spent going through the streets. Is that enough to warm it up? Sorry for the dumb question, I really don't know.

When I open the reservoir after driving, the PS fluid seems to be less viscous.