Nothing Helps Gas Milage

I know this topic has been posted a number of times, and I've read a whole bunch of the advices and followed them.

The 98 ES300 in question has 130,000 miles on it.

So far I have:

- Continuously changed oil to Mobil1 Synthetic every 5000 miles

- Continuously changed air filters

- Replaced spark plugs to NGK Platinum

- Done 3 Seafoam treatments (booster line & fuel tank)

- Replaced two pre-cat O2 sensors (to Denso)

- Tire pressure kept at 32-35 psi

- Wheel alignment/balance OK

- ECU reset

I get 15-17mpg in city driving.

I'm not racing it at all (very rarely over 3000 rpm). I use the proper MPG calculation (filling to the top and measuring method). I'm really lost as to what else could have possibly cause such a terrible milage. Anyone, please?

The revised EPA estimates for the 98 ES300 at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/noframes/14224.shtml are:

MPG (city) 17

MPG (highway) 25

MPG (combined) 20

If you are driving purely in stop and go city traffic, then 15 - 17 mpg sounds about right.

My wife's 98 Camry has the same V6 engine and automatic transmission as your ES300. It has 98,000 miles on it and is used mainly for a 20 mile round trip daily commute -- about 75% on a 60-65 mph interstate highway and the rest at about 35 mph with few traffic lights. I calculated the gas mileage over the last several tank fulls this morning as I gassed up her car -- 20-22 mpg. My wife has an unusually "light foot" on the gas pedal.

Toronto's traffic has made quite an impression on me over the years having spent the equivalent of several weeks there - mainly based near the inner harbor on University Avenue. I love Toronto but its traffic seems more like New York City than the easy traffic where we live in the Kansas City metro area.

I know this topic has been posted a number of times, and I've read a whole bunch of the advices and followed them.

The 98 ES300 in question has 130,000 miles on it.

So far I have:

- Continuously changed oil to Mobil1 Synthetic every 5000 miles

- Continuously changed air filters

- Replaced spark plugs to NGK Platinum

- Done 3 Seafoam treatments (booster line & fuel tank)

- Replaced two pre-cat O2 sensors (to Denso)

- Tire pressure kept at 32-35 psi

- Wheel alignment/balance OK

- ECU reset

I get 15-17mpg in city driving.

I'm not racing it at all (very rarely over 3000 rpm). I use the proper MPG calculation (filling to the top and measuring method). I'm really lost as to what else could have possibly cause such a terrible milage. Anyone, please?

There are other factors involved in gas mileage, other than mechanical.

For example. . .

I can drive ANY of our vehicles and get MUCH BETTER gas mileage than my wife, driving the same road and road conditions.

Case in point. . . my '93 es300 has 107,000 miles on it.

I drove this car to/from work last week and got 22.71 mpg.

My wife drove the same car. . . the same route, the week before, and she got 16.4 mpg.

Bottom line. . . she 'pedals' the car. Gas on. . . gas off. Gas pedal down. . . let up on the pedal. I can sit and watch the gas gauge go down toward 'empty' with her driving!

She drove her van ('01 Chrysler T&C LXi w/3.8 V6) to North Carolina. . she got 19.6 mpg.

I drove it back from N.C. . . 23.9 mpg.

Ultimate bottom line. . . driving habits determines a lot with regard to mpg.

In city driving, be gentle on the throttle when accelerating from a traffic light.......be easy on the brakes, look far down the road & get into a habit of 'coasting' to red lights. It works wonders. B)

:cheers: