Check Engine Light

tgun08

i have a 2000 rx300 with about 135000 mi on it. the check engine light came on and i found 6 different codes. which were, po303, po300, po302, po125, po171, and p1130 i need some help. i was planning on getting a haynes manual. reading all the post about different problems i was hoping one thing might be wrong causing all the other codes to be flagged. the spuddering just started and the engine light started blinking, as before it was solid. i know what all the codes mean but not sure which to address first.

sounds like a bad coil or plug, Start with the plugs, do not use Bosch, use NGK or Nippendenso plugs only. they Have to be iridium. Look for corrosion in the coil packs as you remove them. I don t have my manual right now but if the plugs dont fix it then move the coil packs around and see if the code changes. That will confirm a bad coil pack.

P0300 Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected

p0302 Cylinder 2 missfire detected front left spark plug

p0303 cylinder 3 missfire detected center back spark plug a real pain to get to.

P0125 insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop fuel control

P0171 system too lean bank 1 (probably from missfires)

P1130 Bank one, Sensor one failure.(air fuel sensor) I believe this is the Oxygen sensor.

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks!

My engine light came on today too on my 2000 RX300 with 118K miles on it. How do you get the error codes?

Can I get this information without taking it to the dealer or buy a tool? Perhaps an auto shop offers this kind of service and tell you the error codes?

Thanks for any tip!

I found out that Autozone rent the OBD2 reader for free, but have to leave a deposit. So I'll go toward that route and try it first.

I'll check the basic troubleshooting stuff first and will see what happen.

Don't have to really rent it. Just drive there and ask them to scan your car, and they do it for free right then and there. They will even give you a printout with the codes and possible causes as well.

For some reason couple Autozone near my home doesn't do it. Don't know why.

But during my researching, I did come across many articles on this CEL subject.

So hopefully these tips other owners posted will help.

I am going to do the trivial stuff first like clean the MAF, gas caps etc... and see if that works.

Here's a link that may help someone in the future:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2004/techtips.htm

I can't say enough about all the advice from all you folks, really great. Thanks a bunch for everyone's contribution.

Here's an update; I cleaned the MAF sensor(too easy of a job not to do yourself) and no more error code(P0171, Bank 1 running lean) after 70 miles. The first 10 miles, it was idling a bit rough. But soon after, it's running very smoothly. Oh yeah, I threw in a bottle of the fuel system cleaner in there too.

Since I never cleaned the sensor before, I was amazed how dirty it was. One wire was brown and the other was black. I am going to make it a habit of cleaning every time when changing filter.

Don't have to really rent it. Just drive there and ask them to scan your car, and they do it for free right then and there. They will even give you a printout with the codes and possible causes as well.

I am going to do the trivial stuff first like clean the MAF, gas caps etc... and see if that works.

www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2004/techtips.html

You have a typo in your link. Drop the last "l"

www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2004/techtips.html

You have a typo in your link. Drop the last "l"

Thanks! Its corrected.

i have a 2000 rx300 with about 135000 mi on it. the check engine light came on and i found 6 different codes. which were, po303, po300, po302, po125, po171, and p1130 i need some help. i was planning on getting a haynes manual. reading all the post about different problems i was hoping one thing might be wrong causing all the other codes to be flagged. the spuddering just started and the engine light started blinking, as before it was solid. i know what all the codes mean but not sure which to address first.

You have random cylinder misfires. I would start by changing the spark plug cables or the coils if you dont have cables. Also change the spark plugs.

You have random cylinder misfires. I would start by changing the spark plug cables or the coils if you dont have cables. Also change the spark plugs.

The misfires are a known issue with 99 and 00 rx's, I've heard the original coils were prone to failure after a while. I recently replaced all of mine with the new 90080-19016 coils. While not common, coil failure happens often enough to warrant replacement with the new model.