Run Flat Tires Pain In The ___!

likesthetopdown

I bought a new 2006 SC 430 two years ago and have had nothing but problems with the run flat tires. It's time to replace them again and a friend suggested going with non run flat tires. The posts on the site have been helpful, informative, confusing and appreciated but I wanted to see if anyone has any updated experience to share. I really like my car except for the high maintenace tires. They are require more maintenance than I do!

Thanks so much.

Check my posting about "tire wear". It is absolutely rediculous how rapid the tires wear and the waste. I will never ever have runflats on anything. My wife drives her SC430 all the time and puts a lot of miles on it. We now have 155k on it and the dealer has never seen one with near that many miles on it. With the runflats and factory camber, you can expect about 10k per set of $1200 tires. Some people on here think that is the price you pay for driving a 430, but I think they need a little dose of hard work and learn what $1200 means. In MY opinion, get rid of the run flats, stick a can of fix-a-flat and the green slime kit with the little 12v air compressor (walmart 19.95) in the trunk spot for the spare tire. Take your car to a good alignment guy and have him take all the negative camber out that he can. Then, set the toe-in for the front and rear. This will make the front tires wear perfect, but the rear will still eat the inside edge in 15-30k miles, depending on the tire. I actually modified my "A" arm on the rear so that I could get the rest of the negative camber out of the rear wheels. I can tell no difference in the car handling, but then I don't do the drifting or track driving that it appears some people do with the 430. Why the heck buy a 430 for speed? There are a lot better cars out there for cornering and speed. The wife loves this car and now that I have the tire wear problem solved, I entend to keep it until about 250K and get her a newer one.

Thank you for the information. Like your wife, I drive mine all the time and travel some for business. I don't have as many miles on mine as she does but I hope to one day! The run flat tires here run about $400 per tire after tax and installation, $354 each before. I also work hard for money and don't let go of it easily.

Have a wonderful 2008!

Thank you for the information. Like your wife, I drive mine all the time and travel some for business. I don't have as many miles on mine as she does but I hope to one day! The run flat tires here run about $400 per tire after tax and installation, $354 each before. I also work hard for money and don't let go of it easily.

Have a wonderful 2008!

I replaced the run flats on my SC430 (2003) with Conti Exremes. I now have 35,000 on those tires. The ride has been great, so much better than the OEM tires.

I'm now replacing the Conti's with Michelin Pilot Sports (cost more than the Conti) because Costco does not offer the Conti's.

I got the Conti from Tire Rack and had a local mechanic install them (installation is hard, due to the tire pressure sensors, I guess).

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the run flats on my SC430 (2003) with Conti Exremes. I now have 35,000 on those tires. The ride has been great, so much better than the OEM tires.

I'm now replacing the Conti's with Michelin Pilot Sports (cost more than the Conti) because Costco does not offer the Conti's.

I got the Conti from Tire Rack and had a local mechanic install them (installation is hard, due to the tire pressure sensors, I guess).

Thanks for the info. Is Tire Rack on line? Does Costco install?

• 2 weeks later...

Joined this forum today. I have run flats also. Don't want to give up my trunk for a spare. Has anyone run non-runflats with a can of Fix-a-Flat and a small compressor. I'm getting tired of buying run flats. Does the car handle as well?? How about comfort?? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Joined this forum today. I have run flats also. Don't want to give up my trunk for a spare. Has anyone run non-runflats with a can of Fix-a-Flat and a small compressor. I'm getting tired of buying run flats. Does the car handle as well?? How about comfort?? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I replaced w Michelin Pilot Sports two months ago and really feel the ride is tremendously better. Re not having a spare or run flats - I have a cell phone, and have towing w 800-Rescue through Hartford Ins. So I've a smoother, quieter ride every day vs a little inconvenience if I ever need to get towed/flat bed due to blow out or so. I'm good with that.

• 2 months later...

I have just bought my first NON runflat tires. What are Cambers???

I can't wait to not be concerned about the mileage. I am woman and have to do things and need to make sure the tires a placed correctly. After the Cambers have beentaken care of? How much is that and who should be able to place the tires?

I have had my car for 6 years and I love it.

Check my posting about "tire wear". It is absolutely rediculous how rapid the tires wear and the waste. I will never ever have runflats on anything. My wife drives her SC430 all the time and puts a lot of miles on it. We now have 155k on it and the dealer has never seen one with near that many miles on it. With the runflats and factory camber, you can expect about 10k per set of $1200 tires. Some people on here think that is the price you pay for driving a 430, but I think they need a little dose of hard work and learn what $1200 means. In MY opinion, get rid of the run flats, stick a can of fix-a-flat and the green slime kit with the little 12v air compressor (walmart 19.95) in the trunk spot for the spare tire. Take your car to a good alignment guy and have him take all the negative camber out that he can. Then, set the toe-in for the front and rear. This will make the front tires wear perfect, but the rear will still eat the inside edge in 15-30k miles, depending on the tire. I actually modified my "A" arm on the rear so that I could get the rest of the negative camber out of the rear wheels. I can tell no difference in the car handling, but then I don't do the drifting or track driving that it appears some people do with the 430. Why the heck buy a 430 for speed? There are a lot better cars out there for cornering and speed. The wife loves this car and now that I have the tire wear problem solved, I entend to keep it until about 250K and get her a newer one.

• 3 weeks later...
I have just bought my first NON runflat tires. What are Cambers???

I can't wait to not be concerned about the mileage. I am woman and have to do things and need to make sure the tires a placed correctly. After the Cambers have beentaken care of? How much is that and who should be able to place the tires?

I have had my car for 6 years and I love it.

We have a 2002 SC430 with barely 40,000 miles and the run flats were terrible on wear. We just replaced them with standard Good Year Eagle F1 tires and cannot believe the difference it makes in cornering and ride, would never have runflats again. I have two cans of fix a flat in the trunk and a Triple A membership. We'll deal with any flats that way.

• 8 months later...

My edit didn't take, but re the handling - so much better now. Always drove like Granny in rain on highway and on corners due to feeling loss of control, but now it handles like it should.

My neighbor (in garage -> close to mine) replaced the run-flats on his SC430 with Bridgestone tires, and he also purchased a 'mini-spare'. He's very happy about it.

<snip>, and he also purchased a 'mini-spare'. He's very happy about it.

So what did the mini spare come out of and how does it fit with the roof in the trunk?

Most likely I would just use this for trips but I would rather not get stuck on a highway waiting for AAA if I didn't have to

Bob

So what did the mini spare come out of and how does it fit with the roof in the trunk?

Most likely I would just use this for trips but I would rather not get stuck on a highway waiting for AAA if I didn't have to

Bob

I'm curious too! where does he put the mini?

Bob

I'm curious too! where does he put the mini?

I kept searching and found a picture....

Anyone know if an 89 Supra Spare will also work?

post-37496-1234706214_thumb.jpg

Bob

My car came with the lexus mini spare from the previous owner. The spare (w/ cover) fits just inside the trunk down in the well, standing up half under the floor above the jack. The roof can still fit down inside the trunk, but your storage is verrrry limited, maybe room for a couple of bottles of water.

I took the plunge and bought the mini spare and jack, when I converted from run flats to Avon M500's about 4 years ago. They've been great. just at end of life now after 30k miles. But I understand these have been discontinued. So I'm looking around for a suitable replacement.

Frankly, I think after the run flats, any tire would seem great. What were Lexus thinking...? The big question for me now is what to follow the Avon's with...

I bought a new 2006 SC 430 two years ago and have had nothing but problems with the run flat tires. It's time to replace them again and a friend suggested going with non run flat tires. The posts on the site have been helpful, informative, confusing and appreciated but I wanted to see if anyone has any updated experience to share. I really like my car except for the high maintenace tires. They are require more maintenance than I do!

Thanks so much.

Unfortunately, your gonna have to dig out your wallet. If there is a Discount Tire near you, check with them because they have the best prices. The Lexus SC430 is definately high maitenence because it is one of the flagship models and it's Toyota varient is not availible in the United States. All I have to say about getting non-runflat tires is, good luck if you get a flat. Good Luck to you anyway and don't spend more than $1500 for them.

• 1 month later...

Have a wonderful 2008!

Are those the Michelin - Pilot® Sport PS2™ for

$318.99 . How are they working? Did Costco put a new sensor on? I thought those were Michellin's version of a Run Flat tire. I called Costco yesterday and they have a Michellin Run flat tire for 318. Thanks. MIS

Has anyone else tried to replace the Bridgestone RF Potenza's with a Michellin tire? That is all that Costco carries now and I am getting a better ride on my other car with Michellin tires. I called Costco yesterday and they have a Michellin Run flat tire for $318.