Scratched Dashboard On Rx330

matthewbaby

I have a 04 RX330 with black interior. Over time the dash has become scracted from the sun visor rubbing and/or anything touching the dash. What can I use to hide or cover the scratches? The scratches appear to be superficial....

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a good picture of what you're referring to, whether it's the feltlike material also used on the headliner (on my '05) or the black vinyl on the large horizontal dash. If the latter, there is nothing better for vinyl (and rubber, plastic, fiberglass, etc.) than "303 Protectant". Better than sliced bread. Google it. Here's a link:

http://www.303products.com

Should hide the scratches, treat the vinyl and protect against UV degradation. It's nothing like Armorall (which should never be used). Of course, try in an out of the way place first. Use also on tires and exterior rubber trim. I just checked site and have a couple of new household products.

It's nothing like Armorall (which should never be used).

ArmorAll is a perfectly fine protectant. It actually has much more in common with 303 than it does otherwise. Its an old wives tale that ArmorAll will damage plastics.

I wouldn't use ArmorAll on a dash only because its too glossy for my tastes.

The 303 is safe to use, but I doubt it will hide scratches.

It's nothing like Armorall (which should never be used).

ArmorAll is a perfectly fine protectant. It actually has much more in common with 303 than it does otherwise. Its an old wives tale that ArmorAll will damage plastics.

I wouldn't use ArmorAll on a dash only because its too glossy for my tastes.

The 303 is safe to use, but I doubt it will hide scratches.

From another poster elsewhere:

"Amour All, and lots of other interior gunk, have silicone which can degrade and crack your dash over time. Many also have formaldehyde, which is also very bad.

The best interior protectant to use is one that has no silicone, no formaldehyde, and includes a UV protectant.

Try Vinylex by Lexol. Pep Boys carries it, and lots of places online have it."

Armorall makes a flat/satin product for dashes, but I wouldn't use it. Use Armorall if you want but no one I know would ever use it on any surface they cared about, or any other product with silicone. Not an old wives tale. I don't know about Vinylex, but Lexol has some decent products (though not as good as many think). 303 is the best, but I would first want to try it on another surface to see if would buff out with a dull enough finish. I would be cautiously optimistic. Buy some 303 and try it. If you don't like it for the dash, it's the best product out there for trim and tires (not a gloss look at all--just renews look of rubber).