How Do You Reset The Maintenance Req. Indicator

I have a brand new 08 RX350 - one week old. Just put my first tank of gas in it yesterday. Today when I went to leave work the Engine Check Light was on as well as the slip indicator light and the VSC Off light. Quickly called the dealer and they attributed it to maybe filling up and an CO2 sensor malfunction?

So my question is how do I reset the engine check light on this new car? If there is an issue it will come back on and I'll take it to the dealer. If it doesn't then maybe it was just the gas cap not on tight enough (although it seemed tight)?

This car has the navigation system and does not have the trip button like my old 300RX.

Thanks for any help!!!

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - so I took the car into the dealer and he tells me that the indicator was activated due to a small leak detected in the gas intake area. He "tested" everything and could not find an issue. He proceeds to demonstrate to me how to tighten the gas cap. (I'm 42 years old and this is my 3rd new Lexus - I know how to tighten a gas cap!!!) Here it is a week later and the indicator came back on - not real impressed to say the least.

Back to the dealer for you. That is the reason warranties exist. Maybe the gas cap seal is defective or the sealing area a bit warped. Replacement of one or both may be indicated.

Granted, everyone expects their new car to be perfect. It is disappointing when it has an issue.

At least Lexus will keep after the problem until it is fixed. A Chevy dealer would unplug the warning light.

Back to the dealer for you. That is the reason warranties exist. Maybe the gas cap seal is defective or the sealing area a bit warped. Replacement of one or both may be indicated.

Granted, everyone expects their new car to be perfect. It is disappointing when it has an issue.

At least Lexus will keep after the problem until it is fixed. A Chevy dealer would unplug the warning light.

Very well said, and very true. As frustrating as it is, Lexus will resolve the issue to your satisfaction..

• 3 weeks later...

My 07 rx350 just turned 10K and the Maint Reqd light came on and I tried the holding trip button but it didn't work, any suggestions.

My husband does all of the maintenance. Does anybody know of a good online store for Lexus maintenance parts?

My 07 rx350 just turned 10K and the Maint Reqd light came on and I tried the holding trip button but it didn't work, any suggestions.

My husband does all of the maintenance. Does anybody know of a good online store for Lexus maintenance parts?

Be sure to follow each of the reset steps in the order posted.

Wix has filters for the RX. They are identical to the some of the Highlander filters so a bit of research, or the local Toyota dealer, should have the filters and/or parts at a substantial savings. Even Napa carries the Wix filters under the Napa brand with a single number left off. Try some of these links to see if you find what you are looking for.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLWelcome.aspx

http://www.napafilters.com/filterlookup/

http://www.wixfilters.com/

Keep records, receipts, and bills to maintain your warranty coverage.

Be sure to follow each of the reset steps in the order posted.

Wix has filters for the RX. They are identical to the some of the Highlander filters so a bit of research, or the local Toyota dealer, should have the filters and/or parts at a substantial savings. Even Napa carries the Wix filters under the Napa brand with a single number left off. Try some of these links to see if you find what you are looking for.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLWelcome.aspx

http://www.napafilters.com/filterlookup/

http://www.wixfilters.com/

Keep records, receipts, and bills to maintain your warranty coverage.

Thanks for the links.

• 1 month later...

Almost. They didn't have a loaner available for a week after the indicator came on and by the time the day came along the indicator went off. I undid the plastic strap that attaches the cap to the car as that seems to get twisted up and may cause the cap to back off a little. Since then the indicator has not come back on. Next time it does I am going straight to an auto part store and buying a standard cap. I do not like the cap (Specifically stop limiter in the cap) that comes with the car.

I don't expect that every car off the line comes without issues - my dad worked for Chrysler for more than 30 years and I have had the privilege of spending time in two different Ford plants so I understand the car industry better than most. What I wasn't happy with was the dealer treating me like I didn't know how to tighten a gas cap and them not taking the initiative to replace the cap during my first visit in the event it was one of the things you mentioned. They had the car - it wouldn't have much trouble to do this.

When I say not real impressed - that's directed at the dealers customer service - not a reflection of the vehicle. To keep it in perspective - it is minor and more of an annoyance! That said I had much worse experiences at Chrysler and Chevrolet.

Thanks

Darryl