1992 Ls400 Jammed Trunk

weidmark

Hi I have a 92 LS400 and the trunk will not open. ive never had any problems with the trunk before and the problem sort of just happened. i used the trunk the night prior to me discovering the problem. when i pull the trunk opener in the car i hear the latch open, but when i pull up on it, it still wont open. before i take it to the dealership and get charged and arm and a leg to have it fixed, i figured id put it here for suggestions. Also os there any way to access the trunk for the cabin?

• 1 year later...

I just repaired a sticky door lock on a Ford. The solution was to spray lock mechanism with WD40 (really soak it down so the spray get to every nook and cranny. Then close and open door 10-20 times to work the mechanism and lossen it up. Last step was to spray in some aerosol silicone lubricant (as the WD40 is mostly solvent and will evaporate away). My problem was a sticky latch and intermittent door closed switch. Not quite the same problem you’re seeing but easy enough to try on your own for next to nothing in cost.

I went out and took a look at the latch assembly on my 90. I even took a couple pictures but couldn't get them to upload on here. From the looks of it, the locking mechanism is activated when the plunger (part of the base unit) is compressed. It appears to depress about an inch total travel yet is spring loaded to stay fully extended. What I suspect has happened in your case is that when the actuator is activated, the spring inside the plunger is not extended outward. Kind of like a caliper piston being hung up. If the plunger does not extend, the other mechanism in the trunk lid is fooled into thinking it should be locked. I would need to read more on how it operates to better understand. Someone with an shop manual would have that information.

Now the solution is much more difficult. Getting inside the trunk will be of now help. Spraying fluids into the lock cylinder won't hurt but I doubt it will help.

I would soak the latch mechanism with spray on lubricant and see if that doesn't migrate to the sticky component. Thats how I fixed our Ford. Spray'd the latch area and closed and opened the door several times. In my case the stuck mechanism was well away from the visible portion of the latch. The lubricant eventually worked its way to the proper area.

Doesn't seem like much downside to trying it before you start a disassembly or dealer service call.

I dont think spray/lube on key or into lock cylinder is going to do anything for the latch, nothing is going to travel over there...

mine is operated by a solenoid, yours could be bad... but knowing all this will not open your trunk...

I dont have a clue how to get into it without possible damage, you cant go thru the back seat because of the fuel tank..

good luck, but if you figure something out, TELL US ALL..

Ok then spray the latch and open and close it multiple times, then spray it a little more.... something just may be stuck...

Also you might want to spray the cylinder anyways. It will need it after all these years. The key in my trunk was pretty rough, and took a couple tries to open. After one quick spray and sliding the key in and out a couple times it pops right open with the simplest turn.

Ok then spray the latch and open and close it multiple times, then spray it a little more.... something just may be stuck...

Also you might want to spray the cylinder anyways. It will need it after all these years. The key in my trunk was pretty rough, and took a couple tries to open. After one quick spray and sliding the key in and out a couple times it pops right open with the simplest turn.

QUESTION..... HOW DOES HE SPRAY THE LATCH, IF THE TRUNK WILL NOT OPEN??? bp