2004 Rx 330 Navigation 5.1 To 7.1 Upgrade

Konadj

I am considering updation the DVD Navigation software from 5.1 to 7.1 on the 2004 Rx330(Generation 2/3). I am able to override the lockout on the existing 5.1 mapping software while driving using the direct touch screen entry method posted in several forums. If I upgrade to 7.1 will the override process still work? If yes is the process the same? Thanks for any replies.

dej5613

Doug

I am considering updation the DVD Navigation software from 5.1 to 7.1 on the 2004 Rx330(Generation 2/3). I am able to override the lockout on the existing 5.1 mapping software while driving using the direct touch screen entry method posted in several forums. If I upgrade to 7.1 will the override process still work? If yes is the process the same? Thanks for any replies.

dej5613

Doug

yes it will you need to make what they call a hybrid dics if you want this function, i have made one for my gen 2/3 nav

• 1 month later...

dej5613

Doug

yes it will you need to make what they call a hybrid dics if you want this function, i have made one for my gen 2/3 nav

Could you tell me where I could get one of the 7.1 discs that works on a Gen 2/3 and allows use of the override?

• 2 weeks later...

dej5613

Doug

I assume the same problem exists for 2005 RX330 Gen 4, 5.1 to 7.1 in terms of losing the override function. Would you please post the instructions on how to make a hybrid disk or paste a url for where one can find that information.

Thanks

Mike

dej5613

Doug

I assume the same problem exists for 2005 RX330 Gen 4, 5.1 to 7.1 in terms of losing the override function. Would you please post the instructions on how to make a hybrid disk or paste a url for where one can find that information.

Thanks

Mike

Yes I'd be very much interested in learning about this too. Mine is also 2005 RX330.

Really appreciate if someone explains this..

dej5613

Doug

Could you tell me where I could get one of the 7.1 discs that works on a Gen 2/3 and allows use of the override?

I have update 7.1 Gen 2/3, pm at vnflying@yahoo.com

I would love to get an upgrade to my 2003 sc430 navigation system which is currently running version 2.1. I had downloaded the 7.1 version (file) by way of bit torrent, but when I burned it to a DVD the navigation dvd player did not recognize the data. Did I do something wrong when I burned the dvd? The file was only 3.8 gigs. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gregg

dej5613

Doug

I have update 7.1 Gen 2/3, pm at vnflying@yahoo.com

I would love to get an upgrade to my 2003 sc430 navigation system which is currently running version 2.1. I had downloaded the 7.1 version (file) by way of bit torrent, but when I burned it to a DVD the navigation dvd player did not recognize the data. Did I do something wrong when I burned the dvd? The file was only 3.8 gigs. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gregg

P.S. you can email me at g-chambliss@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

Yes I'd be very much interested in learning about this too. Mine is also 2005 RX330.

Here is what I believe is the situation.

2005 RX 330 has Gen 4, version 4.2 firmware and maps -- override works

Gen 4, version 5.1 firmware and maps -- override works

Gen 4, version 6.1 firmware and maps -- override fails

Gen 4, version 7.1 firmware and maps -- override fails

Gen 4, version 5.1 DVD has a file named loading.kwi. This file changed in version 6.1 which is why the override fails.

The hybrid DVD takes the Gen 4, version 6.1 files and replaces its loading.kwi with the loading.kwi from the version 5.1 DVD. One has to burn this on DVD+R DL media at no more than 4X (burner must be able to DVD+R).

Gen 4, version 6.1 + loading.kwi(version 5.1) = hybrid 6.1 DVD -- override works

Theoretically, this will work with the version 7.1 firmware, but I have not had time to research that issue completely. My initial thinking is that some other changes have occurred that may prevent this hack from working.

Also, once one loads one version the only way to go back a version is to remove fuse TV-1 for the Nav unit which powers it off and it will then do a complete reload when power is restored. The same could be accomplished by removing the battery cable and then replacing it.

The problem becomes one of finding a version 5.1 and 6.1 DVD. I did find this site for downloading loading.kwi but have not had time to study it.

So much for now. It is late.

HTHs

YMMV

Mike

Gen 4, version 5.1 DVD has a file named loading.kwi. This file changed in version 6.1 which is why the override fails.

The hybrid DVD takes the Gen 4, version 6.1 files and replaces its loading.kwi with the loading.kwi from the version 5.1 DVD. One has to burn this on DVD+R DL media at no more than 4X (burner must be able to DVD+R).

Gen 4, version 6.1 + loading.kwi(version 5.1) = hybrid 6.1 DVD -- override works

Theoretically, this will work with the version 7.1 firmware, but I have not had time to research that issue completely. My initial thinking is that some other changes have occurred that may prevent this hack from working.

Also, once one loads one version the only way to go back a version is to remove fuse TV-1 for the Nav unit which powers it off and it will then do a complete reload when power is restored. The same could be accomplished by removing the battery cable and then replacing it.

The problem becomes one of finding a version 5.1 and 6.1 DVD. I did find this site for downloading loading.kwi but have not had time to study it.

HTHs

YMMV

Mike

Great post Mike !! that makes sense... now if I could only find a newer version than my 2005 RX330 Gen4 ver4.2.. I could give it a try..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2004 RX 330 with navigation version 2.1. I would really appreciate a step by step set of instructions (UPGRADES FOR DUMMIES!) on how and where to get a new disk to upgrade my system. I would love to override the security feature, but this is not critical for me.

• 2 months later...

HTHs

YMMV

Mike

Great post Mike !! that makes sense... now if I could only find a newer version than my 2005 RX330 Gen4 ver4.2.. I could give it a try..

Mike, any further research on this? I have Gen 4 and I've produced my own hybrid disk (5.1 loading.kwi file inserted into a 7.1 map data). I can get into the override screen (thru the Menu-Volume-corner-corner hack) and actually override the Nav system, but then that's it... this hybrid disk, for Gen 4 it seems, takes away any ability to actually enter in addresses once the system is overridden (and actually even if you don't do the override hack when the system starts, you can't input any addresses). Whatever works for a 5.1/6.1 hybrid has not carried over to 5.1/7.1 unless I'm mistaken....

If somebody has gotten this combo to work (7.1 maps/5.1 OS/Gen 4), I'd appreciate confirmation...

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the 7.1/5.1 hybrid disc will not work in a generation 4 system! the gen 5 and gen 2/3 systems can work with this disc.

I have read in another thread that a gen 4 user was successful with a 7.1/4.1 disc, but it was created differently than this method (ie the loading.kwi isn't the only file changed).

• 1 month later...

I foolishly :( upgraded my 2005 RX330 (Gen 2) nav DVD at my local dealer for the bargain price of $265 + labor for a grand total of $327.50 before checking these Forums. I was unhappy afterwards because nav was non-functional since they hadn't completely closed the DVD compartment door. After returning to dealer to get this done & regain functionality, I became more dissatisfied when discovering the override functionality gone.

Is the override really gone in the 07 Nav Disc Update G which I received? Is there really no override/hack other than the hybrid DVDs (I'm sure I don't have the previous DVD that my car was loaded with at delivery in late 2005)? Is someone selling their home-made DVDs? If there was a correct version for my car, I would happily buy one after-market.

I've already registered at www.lexusoverride.com. My next thought is to return to the dealer and pay them $327.50 to reinstall the previous nav DVD.

Thanks for thoughts on this.