Ls 460 Snow Tires

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. This is my first posting.

I am thinking about trading our 2004 RX 330 AWD on a 2008 LS 460. I live in metro Kansas City where it snows 1-5 inches several times per season. It usually begins snowing late PM and during the night. By the time we have to get going in the AM there is typically 2-4 inches on our driveway and cul-de-sac before the homes association snow removal has started. The neighborhood streets and our interstate have fairly deep tire ruts. By PM, the drive home is usually OK, even for my daily driver which has been Corvettes the last 15 years.

My wife is the primary driver of the RX and would be the primary driver of the 460. Her experience for the last twenty plus years has been in front wheel drive or AWD. She works everyday and needs a snow capable vehicle. Generally, by the next day after a snowfall the roads are clear enough that any car can get around.

I contacted Tire Rack today and a set of four quality snow tires, wheels and sensors will cost around $1,800. I will spend the money if I have to, but I would appreciate hearing from people with direct experience with the LS 460 in snow conditions.

Thank you.

Ralphj

• 10 months later...

I live in St.Paul, MN with lots of snow, ice and cold and drive 1 older LSs for the last 5 years or so. I have a set of Winterforce tires (from Firestone dealers) on one LS and a set of Yokohamas on the other. The winter driveability before and after the winter tires was night and day - way better with the winter tires. Your wheels are bigger than mine so your cost will be more but you might consider just having the winter tires mounted on your existing wheels at the start of winter and taken off in early spring. You will love the new LS. Good luck.

I have owned four LS cars in the Chicago area over many winters. In my experience they are nearly undriveable without the winter tires, particularly when on the oem Dunlops, which seem to get very slick at low temps. Blizzaks or Michelins make a huge difference not only in providing sure-footed forward traction but more importantly in improving the ability to stop. If they save you just one minor fender bender they are worth the expense. I just got the AWD car and put Blizzaks on it for the improved braking. I don't view the tire expense as additional cost, because one is going to pay so much per mile for tire wear regardless of whether they are winter tires or summer tires. I use the oem wheels as my winter wheels and get a nice set of customs for summer. Your dealer may have plenty of used wheels available from take-offs when selling upgraded wheels.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. This is my first posting.

I am thinking about trading our 2004 RX 330 AWD on a 2008 LS 460. I live in metro Kansas City where it snows 1-5 inches several times per season. It usually begins snowing late PM and during the night. By the time we have to get going in the AM there is typically 2-4 inches on our driveway and cul-de-sac before the homes association snow removal has started. The neighborhood streets and our interstate have fairly deep tire ruts. By PM, the drive home is usually OK, even for my daily driver which has been Corvettes the last 15 years.

My wife is the primary driver of the RX and would be the primary driver of the 460. Her experience for the last twenty plus years has been in front wheel drive or AWD. She works everyday and needs a snow capable vehicle. Generally, by the next day after a snowfall the roads are clear enough that any car can get around.

I contacted Tire Rack today and a set of four quality snow tires, wheels and sensors will cost around $1,800. I will spend the money if I have to, but I would appreciate hearing from people with direct experience with the LS 460 in snow conditions.

Thank you.

Ralphj

I can save you a bunch on the wheels. Snow tires with their own wheels is a good move.

I have a mint condition set of OEM takeoff wheels off a 2008 LS460. These are the 18" with the 5 x 120mm bolt pattern. These fit the 2007 or 2008 Ls460's.

How about $600 plus shipping from 80401, Golden, CO.

Whit

post-55782-1227486305_thumb.jpg