Instrument Panel Blackout

benitoz

HI

I have a 1994 Ls400. Recently when I start the car, the instrument panel remains pitch black with the exception of the gear you are in. So as I start driving I notice the lights and needles start to flicker, and flicker, and finally get brighter. This usually happens to me at night or early in the morning. But I live in CA and the temperature should not be that much of a problem. I took it to the dealer and they say it might be the fuse, but that was fine. Then they said diagnostic, and that is too expensive for me. So what do you think is wrong, please help.

Thanks,

Ben

i am having a very similar problem. i live in MI and it's been cold lately. when i get in the car, NONE of the dash lights light up (instrumentation and radio & climate control backlighting; although the buttons that are selected still light up). after a few minutes of driving, they flicker for about 3-4 seconds, then come on as normal. it does this after the car has been parked for a few hours or over night.

This is a very common problem with 93-94 LS400.

Highly recommended, the seller "lex-pert" is a contributor to this forum....Jim Walker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33711

Take the console out yourself, send it to Jim with $225, and you get it back all fixed.

It is said that your car will drive fine without the console installed. Just take extra care that you don't speed and that you don't run out of gas.

Good luck!

Joe

The backlighting for the center console display (radio / climate control) is achieved by various strategically placed bulbs.

For the climate control unit , there are 7 - 3 blk harness / 4 gray harness. Though I don't know which are for what, I'm guessing one color harness is for the actual Green lights above the button that come on when you press that button, and the rest are for the general backlighting of the button(s)while lights on.

The Lexus Technician I spoke with said they didn't (wouldn't) replace just the bulbs and I would need to get a whole new radio and or climate control panel. BS ! You can buy the bulbs online for $6.11 each, which can get costly if you need to replace all 7, but it's a LOT cheaper than buying a new Radio ($500.00) or climate control unit or entire display assy ($1500.00).

As I have some that are burned out, I'd love instructions on how best to remove the faces of the panels in the center console to get access to the bulbs and replace them.

Thanks heaps.

G

G,

Let me know if you need some info and pictures (I found a very helpful web site) on how to remove the wood trim and the panels so you can access and remove the climate control and radio unit. If you can take the radio out maybe you can figure out how to take it apart and get the bulbs replaced.

:)

Michael,

Thanks for the offer. I think I may have found the site you may be referring to: www.carstereohelp.com. Really Great ! Had a pic-by-pic view with text instructions on the removal of the Stereo / Climate control unit.

I may , 1) go ahead and order the replacement bulbs and do the fix, or, 2) remove the unit and send it to the 'carstereohelp' guys for a $190.00 fix.

G

even if my stereo is perfectly working i still have to pay 190$ to fix the freaking LEDS????? are you gonna replace the leds that velded in the the cirquit? me and my friend tried it on the dead nakamichi unit and we killed the cirquit coz we overheated it. they are really small and hard to take out and i have some experience in velding

VMF,

Yep ! That's right, $190.00 to fix the backlights on the center console. If you need the Tape player fixed - as I do - add another $145.00. Maybe they'll do both for a cheaper price.

Even so, still cheaper than $500.00 for a reman stereo with no warranty from Lexus.

What I didn't know is that these bulbs are welded (soldered??) into place. I was under the impression that the Pioneer unit (from the www.americanlexusparts.com website) was a plug n' go operation.

Any comments anyone ??

I just replaced my backlight bulbs on the climate control a couple of weeks ago. I paid less than a dollar per bulb. They are charging way too much at $6 a bulb. The bulb number is 2182. You should be able to find this at radio shack. If you can't their is a company called interlight that sells them mail order.

Good point eddie !

MAPMAN, DO the bulbs need to be soldered or can they easily be 'clipped' in? Great tip on the bulbs themselves. I'm off today to stock up.

Also, how easy was the access to the insideof the climate control "box" to get at the bulbs - is it a simple X # screws that hold a metal box around the 'guts' of the unit ?? Is there even a meatal casing at all???

G

This is a very common problem with 93-94 LS400.

Highly recommended, the seller "lex-pert" is a contributor to this forum....Jim Walker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33711

Take the console out yourself, send it to Jim with $225, and you get it back all fixed.

It is said that your car will drive fine without the console installed. Just take extra care that you don't speed and that you don't run out of gas.

Good luck!

Joe

Yes- it seems to be even more of a problem on the 1993-1994s than it is on the 1990-1992s.