Turn Signal

hoopz111

This is a frequently seen problem with the first and second generation ES, and my wife's old 97 had the same disease about every 6 months. Its left front turn signal bulb socket turned out to be the culprit. By simply removing that bulb, reaching into the bulb socket with a dental pick (thin needle nosed pliers would have worked as well I think) and stretching the electrical contacts towards the bulb contacts would fix the high flash rate. Apparently over time these contacts, which are really metal strips bent into an "S" shape, would lose their spring and would provide a poor contact with the bulb, raising the circuit resistance, and thereby speeding up the flasher on that side of the car. If after you've tried this same fix on your car (maybe do all 4 bulb sockets?), and it doesn't correct the problem, I would suggest that you'll need to troubleshoot the entire signal circuit and find out where you have a poor connection due to corrosion or such. Good Luck!

This is a frequently seen problem with the first and second generation ES, and my wife's old 97 had the same disease about every 6 months. Its left front turn signal bulb socket turned out to be the culprit. By simply removing that bulb, reaching into the bulb socket with a dental pick (thin needle nosed pliers would have worked as well I think) and stretching the electrical contacts towards the bulb contacts would fix the high flash rate. Apparently over time these contacts, which are really metal strips bent into an "S" shape, would lose their spring and would provide a poor contact with the bulb, raising the circuit resistance, and thereby speeding up the flasher on that side of the car. If after you've tried this same fix on your car (maybe do all 4 bulb sockets?), and it doesn't correct the problem, I would suggest that you'll need to troubleshoot the entire signal circuit and find out where you have a poor connection due to corrosion or such. Good Luck!

I will try that this week. It's nice to know that someone else has had a similar problem. I'll let you know how I come out next week. Thanks.

I have a 1994 ES300 with a turn signal problem. The turn signal flashes very rapidly. I have changed all the bulbs and changed the flasher, but nothing has worked. Any other ideas for me to try? Thank you.

I did what you said and it didn't work right away. But when I screwed the Bulb back into the socket I didn't tighten it as much and now it works fine. Thanks for the assistance.