Belt Quality - Oem Vs. Aftermarket

artbuc

My 99 RX300 came from the factory with a Dayco Power Steering Belt and a Mitsubishi Alternator Belt. Don't know about timing belt yet because I haven't pulled the cover.

Dayco tells me their premium aftermarket belts have the same polyester cording and EPDM rubber. The only difference is that they make the aftermarket design more universal to fit more applications. This is what keeps their cost down.

Dayco Timing Belt from RockAuto is $18. I can get a Lexus Timing belt for about $45. Not much difference in the overall scheme of things, but I don't want to spend $27 more for basically the same belt.

Has anyone out there used a Dayco or other aftermarket timing belt? Have you been satisfied with it?

My 99 RX300 came from the factory with a Dayco Power Steering Belt and a Mitsubishi Alternator Belt. Don't know about timing belt yet because I haven't pulled the cover.

Dayco tells me their premium aftermarket belts have the same polyester cording and EPDM rubber. The only difference is that they make the aftermarket design more universal to fit more applications. This is what keeps their cost down.

Dayco Timing Belt from RockAuto is $18. I can get a Lexus Timing belt for about $45. Not much difference in the overall scheme of things, but I don't want to spend $27 more for basically the same belt.

Has anyone out there used a Dayco or other aftermarket timing belt? Have you been satisfied with it?

Thought some of you may be interested in this. My RX has a Unitta timing belt. So, all 3 drive belts from different suppliers: PS from Dayco, Alt/AC from Mitsuboshi and timing from Unitta. Never heard of Unitta so I did a little checking.

Unitta is a joint venture formed between Uniroyal and Nitta (Japan) in 1971. As far as I can tell, Nitta did not manufacture automotive belts. In 1986, Gates bought Uniroyal Power Transmission presumably to get their timing belt technology and manufacturing capability. In 2002, Unitta was renamed Gates Unitta to reflect the Gates purchase of Uniroyal Power Transmission. Gates Unitta supplies the Asia Pacific region. Gates and Gates Unitta timing belts come in different packaging but have the same product name and description. My guess is that they are the same belt probably made in the same plant.

Also, Gates timing belts are made from Highly Saturated Nitrile rubber whereas Dayco are made from EPDM. HSN has superior mechanical and chemical resistance properties.

I bought Gates belts from RockAuto before I started work. Upon inspection, I discovered the tensioner idler pulley is bad, so I ordered Gates timing belt kit. Rockauto had already sent my belts so now I have an extra Gates timing belt. If anyone wants it I will sell it to you at my cost.