Cannot Hear Air Conditioner Turn On

eli2k

I was trying to use the AC the other day and then noticed that it did not turn on. Usually if I'm idle, and I switch on the AC, the engine RPM would change a bit, and I can hear some stuff going on in the car that signals the turning on of the AC. But now, if I press the AC button, the LED lights up, but nothing happens to the AC, so it keeps blowing warm air. This is on an ES300 1992. Before I take it to the shop later, I was hoping if anyone can come up with hypotheses of what might be wrong and if it's simple to fix. I've read in previous posts if the compressor goes out it's 1000-2000 right there. =/

Thanks,

- Eli

• 3 months later...

I was trying to use the AC the other day and then noticed that it did not turn on. Usually if I'm idle, and I switch on the AC, the engine RPM would change a bit, and I can hear some stuff going on in the car that signals the turning on of the AC. But now, if I press the AC button, the LED lights up, but nothing happens to the AC, so it keeps blowing warm air. This is on an ES300 1992. Before I take it to the shop later, I was hoping if anyone can come up with hypotheses of what might be wrong and if it's simple to fix. I've read in previous posts if the compressor goes out it's 1000-2000 right there. =/

Thanks,

- Eli

The compressor could be low on refrigerant. If there is not enough it will not come on.

I had my AC system checked at the beginning of last summer (all clear) and then just had refrigerant added. It worked fine. Now it does not appear to be working at all, though the compressor was obviously working all through the Chicago winter for defrost. Does this mean I just need to charge it up again...I thought that was supposed to last for a couple years. Perhaps there is a leak now? Nooooooooooooo!

• 3 months later...

If you had to have refridgerant added that you have a leak. That stuff can last forever as long as it doesn't leak out.

I had my AC system checked at the beginning of last summer (all clear) and then just had refrigerant added. It worked fine. Now it does not appear to be working at all, though the compressor was obviously working all through the Chicago winter for defrost. Does this mean I just need to charge it up again...I thought that was supposed to last for a couple years. Perhaps there is a leak now? Nooooooooooooo!