I Think Ive Found One!

BigBuggie

Looks Mint!

1 owner trade, checking on timing belt.

95' -154k Silver/Blk

Perfect inside and out, can't even hear it idle!

PS fluid was low though? He said he filled it a couple days ago and it hasn't moved.

I really love this car , hes asking $6350 I might offer 5.

What do you guys think? Is the PS situation a prob with this yr?

Thanks

Pics not showing up for some reason? :(

0101100102070104092007121708613da7351ccf0438004d62.jpg

01011201020901030820071217f0e20dda5318111e1c00f718.jpg

$4500 would be just enough. The car has seen many Northeasterns.

Looks Mint!

1 owner trade, checking on timing belt.

95' -154k Silver/Blk

Perfect inside and out, can't even hear it idle!

PS fluid was low though? He said he filled it a couple days ago and it hasn't moved.

I really love this car , hes asking $6350 I might offer 5.

What do you guys think? Is the PS situation a prob with this yr?

Thanks

Pics not showing up for some reason? :(

0101100102070104092007121708613da7351ccf0438004d62.jpg

01011201020901030820071217f0e20dda5318111e1c00f718.jpg

Congratulations. Just about all ls cars look great even when they're 10 -15 years old.

When you say that ps fluid was low, how low, and if he filled it a couple of days ago, why did you find it low? Check the colour of the fluid with a white paper towel. It should be pink and should not smell

burnt. I would check around the reservoir/pump for leaks, especially the high pressure pipe which is the most expensive to repair. Don't forget to check if the alternator is wet if you find any p/s leaks.

With 154k on the clock, timing belt should have been done a while ago. If not, it could go any time. I believe the 95 had an interference engine which means major damage if the belt goes. Very important to verify. If the engine is cold and been sitting for a while, get someone to start the car while you check out the exhaust to see if any smoke comes out the rear. If you can, take the car into a shop you trust for a report. Make sure they put it up for a look underneath. Up here in Canada, we have the APA, which will do a complete inspection for about $125. And that's all they do - no repairs, so you get an unbias report. I know this sounds like a lot of bother, but it could save you some money down the road.

The PS fluid most likely, if there is a leak, would be coming from the rack on the 95', not the pump. The flawed power steering pumps were mostly corrected with the generation 2 models "95+". At the mileage of that 95', I'd be willing to bet that if you looked under the car, the rack boots are probably wet, which is where the leaks start. This can be somewhat managed by cleaning the power steering solenoid screen "search for it, lots of info", which reduces the build-up pressure on the system, which causes the leak. But, at that mileage, the internal bushings of the rack are probably on their way out and it'll probably need a new one. I know mine, at 135k miles, was coming close to needing a new one.

The timing belt issue can be checked by looking for a sticker on the bulk head of the engine, or in the back of the manual for a stamp, or simply ask your local lexus dealer to search their database via vin number to see if it's been changed. I'm not so sure I would trust someone selling it telling you it was done at an "indi" mechanic. Might be true, probably is, but you'll want it verified to be sure.

The 95's were some of the best ever built. True tanks of the road, and with a little elbow grease, a few hundred bucks and a weekend or two, it takes very little to bring them back to top running condition. Suspension issues can be costly, and you will face them at that mileage, mainly shocks / mounts / ball joints / bushings / etc... but, it's an easy car to work on yourself, which will save you the most money, by far! It's not the parts that break the bank, it's the labor costs.

Engine computers on some of the 95's were bad, evidenced by stalling after a highway cruise, or a stumbling effect at gentle throttle around the 40-50mph range. Search "ECM" or "Engine ECU" for more info on it.

Dash needles, back lighting, etc., can be a problem, but not nearly as much so as the 90-94 series. This was one of the things they corrected with the generation 2 series.

But, with help from this website, owning an old Lexus LS400 can be a great investment. Taking it to the dealer everytime something goes wrong, will bankrupt you in no time!

The PS fluid most likely, if there is a leak, would be coming from the rack on the 95', not the pump. The flawed power steering pumps were mostly corrected with the generation 2 models "95+". At the mileage of that 95', I'd be willing to bet that if you looked under the car, the rack boots are probably wet, which is where the leaks start. This can be somewhat managed by cleaning the power steering solenoid screen "search for it, lots of info", which reduces the build-up pressure on the system, which causes the leak. But, at that mileage, the internal bushings of the rack are probably on their way out and it'll probably need a new one. I know mine, at 135k miles, was coming close to needing a new one.
I agree, I'd start with cleaning the solenoid. Also, it's not terribly uncommon for the power steering air control valve to go out in which case the ps fluid gets burned off, and you'll see smoke coming out the tail pipes on hard acceleration.

Further to the timing belt issue. Even if it's been done, you want to make sure that the water pump, idler pulley and tensioner pulleys were done at the same time. If not, I would knock off the price for having them done. They won't last until your next belt change, so you'll wind up going in there one extra time at just about the same expense.

Ok guys, thanks for all the help!

Ive really wanted an LS for a while and I think I'm going to spring for this one, I've never really been into an engine to be honest ( just accessories) but Ive been in just about everything els mechanical, All the same right?. Are there any LexLs sites dealing with the 95+ model?

If he goes for 4.5 Ill have a few bucks left over, should I get into the suspension assuming the TB is good?

Again thanks for all the help!!! What a great forum!!!

BigBuggie, for a site that's less tech and more consumer reviews try:

http://autos.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.aspx

Just punch in your year, make and model, then "user" ratings and you'll get plenty of owners experiences with their cars. BTW, I know the feeling of test driving a gorgeous car that looks like new and drives like new and not wanting someone else to get it. The kneejerk reaction is to go for it. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Thanks again!!!

Lol, saw another 95' LS - Blk/Blk with 117k on it out in cali.

My sis lives right down the street from the dealership, unfortunately It could be running on 3 cylinders and she wouldn't notice it. She hasn't been there long enough to have found a reputable mechanic.......Darn!

Pete