Remote Car Starters

NJresident

I just had an F50 remote starter by Code Alarm installed on my 1999 RX300...it requires the starter and a special bypass box...My installer had experience with Lexus cars, but it still took him 90 minutes to just get the locks working properly -- it usually takes 20 minutes on most cars -- per the installer...It all works great, though...The lock/unlock on the key still works...When I remote start, i simply hit the unlock on starter remote (doors are auto-locked when you use your remote starter) and then enter the car...i then just insert the key and turn to start...and drive off...if i don't remote start, i simply use the key...i had it installed in Upstate, NY...hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been looking at this issue and found that some dealers are using the DEI 555U bypass kit - which requires an extra ignition key to be wrapped up in wiring somewhere up under the dash - while others are promoting the use of the DEI 555F bypass kit which doesn't require an extra key. The price of the kit seems to be the same - and given the cost of a key.....

On the other hand - I almost ran from one shop when they said they'd work me in in April or so, but it wasn't worth their time/effort to spend the hours on my RX300 when they could do 4-5 other vehicles and make that much more profit in the short term!

• 2 weeks later...