1999 Gs 300 - Adding Amps And Subs - Need Help

Hello,

I am new to this forum and need a bit of help with how to wire my amps subs and capacitors into my car. I recently got a Pioneer DEH - 1900MP Head Unit installed into my car and it works great, so i decided to get some more bass for the car because it sucks stock. I purchases two 12in. Rocksford Fosgate Subwoofers, 1 Rocksford Fosgate Amplifier and two Alpine Amplifiers, as well as two capacitors. I bought this system from a friend so i know that everything is compatable with eachother, but i am having difficulty on how to install it. If anyone can provide me with some help it would be much appreciated. I am planning on putting in on the shelf in the back trunk right under the existing sub.

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Hello,

I am new to this forum and need a bit of help with how to wire my amps subs and capacitors into my car. I recently got a Pioneer DEH -

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Nice first post. Let us know if you get some answers. I am interested in doing this as well.

BP

Nick,

How much info are you needing? How to install everything or just how to install it on the back shelf?

How to wire from the amps to the head unit and power supply. I bought the set from a former BWM owner, and there batteries are in the back, so i need to know how to run it to a Lexus battery.

However any information would help

Thanks,

Nick

It's pretty easy but very time consuming.

- You are going to have 3 wire runs from the front of the vehicle to the back (assuming you are placing your amp in the trunk).

- You'll have a power wire (how powerful is the amp, you need to make sure you have a big enough gauge wire to handle the amp. Either 4awg or 8awg will most likely work).

- You are going to want to run the power wire on the passenger side of the vehicle and the Remote wire and RCAs on the driver side (This reduces the chance of having engine noise).

-You'll run the power wire from the amp through the firewall to the battery (Don't drill a hole through the bottom of the car and run the wire underneath the body of the vehicle, its a fire hazard and tacky.)

- You will also need to find a place to ground your amp. When you do this, make sure you scrap off the paint on the body of the car with a razor to make sure you have a solid ground connection.

- Back to RCAs and Remote wire. You'll run those from the amp to behind the dash to your aftermarket head unit. You should have a lowpass RCA or Rear RCA input on the back of your deck. You'll connect the Remote wire to the wiring harness connecting your deck to the factory harness (this wire is either blue or most of the time blue/white wire)

All that information should cover it, let me know if you have any questions. During my college years I worked at a stereo shop so I'm full of all kinds of info. Best of Luck!!!

JGRussell

Nick,

How much info are you needing? How to install everything or just how to install it on the back shelf?

How to wire from the amps to the head unit and power supply. I bought the set from a former BWM owner, and there batteries are in the back, so i need to know how to run it to a Lexus battery.

Thanks,

Nick

It's pretty easy but very time consuming.

- You are going to have 3 wire runs from the front of the vehicle to the back (assuming you are placing your amp in the trunk).

- You'll have a power wire (how powerful is the amp, you need to make sure you have a big enough gauge wire to handle the amp. Either 4awg or 8awg will most likely work).

- You are going to want to run the power wire on the passenger side of the vehicle and the Remote wire and RCAs on the driver side (This reduces the chance of having engine noise).

-You'll run the power wire from the amp through the firewall to the battery (Don't drill a hole through the bottom of the car and run the wire underneath the body of the vehicle, its a fire hazard and tacky.)

- You will also need to find a place to ground your amp. When you do this, make sure you scrap off the paint on the body of the car with a razor to make sure you have a solid ground connection.

- Back to RCAs and Remote wire. You'll run those from the amp to behind the dash to your aftermarket head unit. You should have a lowpass RCA or Rear RCA input on the back of your deck. You'll connect the Remote wire to the wiring harness connecting your deck to the factory harness (this wire is either blue or most of the time blue/white wire)

All that information should cover it, let me know if you have any questions. During my college years I worked at a stereo shop so I'm full of all kinds of info. Best of Luck!!!

JGRussell

Nick,

Thanks,

Nick

With the newer GSs theres much more to it than just a simple install. The speakers and factory sub are running on a factory amp located in the glove box. In order to correctly do this install, you're going to need to rewire all the speakers in your car into your new head unit. If you don't know how to do this, then do the rest of the setup, and then take your car in to Al & Ed's or similar car stereo place (Not Circuit City or Best Buy, they're idiots).

Thats not quite right. He is only adding a sub and there is no need to run all new wires for his door speakers. Since he already has an aftermarket unit in his dash and everything is working then there is no need to do that. Now if he were to replace all door speakers with or without an amp then yes he would need to rewire the vehicle.

Nick,

Adding only a sub is very easy, I'll draw you a diagram if you'd like, it's the running of the wires and taking apart the car that is very time consuming. When you do this be patient and don't get mad if you can't figure it out. The best way to figure something out is take a break, drink a beer and then go back at it. HAHA.

Another thing I didn't mention is the ohms of your sub. Every amplifier has an ohm rating and you want to make sure that your speakers match your amps ohms so you can get as much power as possible. When your ready to install I will help you more.

JGRussell

First off the amp in the gove box is already by passed due to the installation of the head unit. So thats not a problem.

Secondly, I know that my ohms of my amps and my subs match up but i am unsure if they match up with the factory speakers.

Thirdly, I am using a 4awg to power everything from the battery and 8awg for connections between the subs caps and amps

Fourthly, If you could draw up a diagram it would greatly help =]

Thanks a whole bunch so far everyone.