Please Help - Engine Misfiring

joyndc

1994 ES300 V6

Problem tends to appear when engine fully warmed up.

The front center cylinder appears to misfire (not fire at all). Misfiring then occurs at idle, under acceleration (most notable due to engine vibration), and at constant speeds.

Once the misfiring occurs, at idle, I have pulled the front center low voltage lead to the coil pack without a change to the engine. Pulling the front driver or front passenger low voltage lead to the coil pack causes the engine to run worse.

I have swapped coil packs and spark plugs. The problem stays with the front center cylinder.

Trying to fix the misfiring issue:

- Ran one can of BG44K and have a second can in the tank

- Replaced fuel filter

- Replaced all spark plugs (iridium tips replaced Bosch platinum)

- Played with electrical connections to front center cylinder with no apparent effect

NOTE, possibly contributing to the misfire is a failure of the spark plug in front driver cylinder (not current front center problem cylinder). The front driver sparkplug ‘lost’ the ground electrode and started to melt the plug. After replacing all the plugs, the car ran well. Then the misfiring seemed to begin intermittently. I did not pull the head to get to the cylinder, but carefully probed the cylinder for the electrode tip, which I could not find. I suspect it either burned up or was ground down.

Recently did some maintenance to successfully fix an idle problem which appeared to have been a sticky idle throttle plate. I am unsure of the correct name, but for this car a small butterfly throttle plate is located below the main throttle plate and driven by a solenoid.

- Cleaned MAF

- Cleaned throttle plate, both large for driving and small solenoid driven one for idle. For smaller idle throttle plate, flooded with carburetor cleaner and blew out with compressed air (several times).

- Replace air filter

Note, if the injector is bad, one mechanic who has worked on Toyota & Lexus said that replacing one bad injector while keeping 5 old injectors still in the car can cause poor performance because the O2 sensors can’t get one measurement that works for both the new and old injectors.

Any clue on what's going on with this Lexus?

1994 ES300 V6

The front center cylinder appears to misfire (not fire at all). Misfiring then occurs at idle, under acceleration (most notable due to engine vibration), and at constant speeds.

Once the misfiring occurs, at idle, I have pulled the front center low voltage lead to the coil pack without a change to the engine. Pulling the front driver or front passenger low voltage lead to the coil pack causes the engine to run worse.

I have swapped coil packs and spark plugs. The problem stays with the front center cylinder.

- Replaced fuel filter

- Played with electrical connections to front center cylinder with no apparent effect

NOTE, possibly contributing to the misfire is a failure of the spark plug in front driver cylinder (not current front center problem cylinder). The front driver sparkplug ‘lost’ the ground electrode and started to melt the plug. After replacing all the plugs, the car ran well. Then the misfiring seemed to begin intermittently. I did not pull the head to get to the cylinder, but carefully probed the cylinder for the electrode tip, which I could not find. I suspect it either burned up or was ground down.

Recently did some maintenance to successfully fix an idle problem which appeared to have been a sticky idle throttle plate. I am unsure of the correct name, but for this car a small butterfly throttle plate is located below the main throttle plate and driven by a solenoid.

- Cleaned MAF

- Cleaned throttle plate, both large for driving and small solenoid driven one for idle. For smaller idle throttle plate, flooded with carburetor cleaner and blew out with compressed air (several times).

- Replace air filter

Note, if the injector is bad, one mechanic who has worked on Toyota & Lexus said that replacing one bad injector while keeping 5 old injectors still in the car can cause poor performance because the O2 sensors can’t get one measurement that works for both the new and old injectors.

We had a similar problem with our '92. In the end I replaced all the plug wires to solve it. Wires tested ok but would not carry full voltage on occasion.

• 1 month later...
1994 ES300 V6

- Replaced fuel filter

NOTE, possibly contributing to the misfire is a failure of the spark plug in front driver cylinder (not current front center problem cylinder). The front driver sparkplug ‘lost’ the ground electrode and started to melt the plug. After replaci

ng all the plugs, the car ran well. Then the misfiring seemed to begin intermittently. I did not pull the head to get to the cylinder, but carefully probed the cylinder for the electrode tip, which I could not find. I suspect it either burned up or was ground down.

- Cleaned MAF

- Replace air filter

We had a similar problem with our '92. In the end I replaced all the plug wires to solve it. Wires tested ok but would not carry full voltage on occasion.

Have you checked your catalytic converters?

1994 ES300 V6

- Replaced fuel filter

- Cleaned MAF

- Replace air filter

i had the same problem also it was number 5 plug next to the firewall replaced plugs ran fine for a few hundred miles then started again ordered some ngk plug wires and its fine now thousands of miles later good luck.