Where To Hook Up Amp For Stereo System

If I add an amp to my rx400 for an aftermarket stereo, where do I hook it in? I know I can't go off the starter battery, so where does it hook to? People are doing this on prius so it must be able to be done.

Why can't you go off the starter battery? That's how it should be done.

you cannot go off the starter battery on a toyota/lexus hybrid. The starter battery only gets recharged at 4-5amps. I have confirmed this in the manual of my rx400h and the prius that I had as rental on business. You must hook into the dc/dc converter that comes off the main battery. But I'm not sure where that would be.

you cannot go off the starter battery on a toyota/lexus hybrid. The starter battery only gets recharged at 4-5amps. I have confirmed this in the manual of my rx400h and the prius that I had as rental on business. You must hook into the dc/dc converter that comes off the main battery. But I'm not sure where that would be.

As others stated in your other thread, the claim that the battery is recharged at 4-5 amps makes no sense if it can be recharged in one hour. Also, in "Ready" mode, the starter battery is connected to the high voltage batteries. So, as long as your amp trigger is connected to a switched source and can't stay on when the car is not in "ready" mode, running it off the starter battery is still the best method.

seriously, are you guys guessing or are you posting facts? Both manuals from both cars say 5amps max recharge on the starter battery. It can recharge because it never does anything besides switch on the high voltage system.

Has anyone actually hooked up a power amp to the starter battery? Not trying to be a jerk, but I really need facts, not guesses.

I run my stereo system off my starter battery, I replaced my starter battery with a Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle, its been fine since, just don't run your stereo with the car off. I'm in the process of installing a second battery since its died once (left the stereo on for an hour without charging it, oops)

You should look into a Stinger SR200 battery isolator, which would run your stereo off the second battery, always allowing for a fully charged starter battery in the event that you do drain the secondary battery fully, your starter will always be ready to go. Once I get everything installed I'll take pics and show you guys my whole setup, but it works like a charm as of now, although I had to install bass blockers in all 4 door speakers, stupid cheap speakers from the factory

seriously, are you guys guessing or are you posting facts? Both manuals from both cars say 5amps max recharge on the starter battery. It can recharge because it never does anything besides switch on the high voltage system.

Has anyone actually hooked up a power amp to the starter battery? Not trying to be a jerk, but I really need facts, not guesses.

Are you just going to keep asking the same question until you get an answer you like? You've already been given the correct answer multiple times. Yes, I've done it, and yes it works.

well I will try from the starter battery then. Although it still worries me that it only recharges at 5 amps.

what kind of amp are you running? if your worried then run a second battery like I'm doing. I'm going to try and fit it in the cargo area under the floor in the trunk, I've already got my amp mounted in there for a clean look, more space, etc. The left side of the cargo area has more space than the right, as I recently purcahsed a Stinger SP800 dry cell battery to fit there, we'll see how it fits once I take the cargo area out and modify it (grind away whatever I need to fit the battery in there). Everything looks good so far

Are you just going to keep asking the same question until you get an answer you like? You've already been given the correct answer multiple times. Yes, I've done it, and yes it works.

No I"m just trying to make sure I get the correct answer before I mess up my wifes car. How can the starter battery be connected to the high voltage battery when the car is in ready mode. One is 280 volts, one is 12 volts. It would have to be connected to the dc-dc converter and that would explain the 5amp discharge. Clearly people are not having a problem with their batteries going dead, so I will try this.

You can get some excellent advice from some of the people that work in the installation department of Best Buy. I found a very smart guy there who is now my friend and auto-electronics guru. And they have access to a web site by Directed Electronics that has excellent schematics and advice for almost any vehicle.

Tom