Wind Noise 2007 Vs 2008

• 3 weeks later...
my 07 LS460 has more wind noise than my 05 LS430. Did anyone get a dealership to fix this problem? Is it fixed for the 2008 models?

I was told by one of the dealership's service consultants that a wind noise reduction kit was coming out soon.

This was about 3 months ago. When I read your note I remenbered. Next week I'll be going in for warranty

service and will look into it. Will let you know. Maybe you can also inquire this from your dealer

Walter

my 07 LS460 has more wind noise than my 05 LS430. Did anyone get a dealership to fix this problem? Is it fixed for the 2008 models?

I was told by one of the dealership's service consultants that a wind noise reduction kit was coming out soon.

This was about 3 months ago. When I read your note I remenbered. Next week I'll be going in for warranty

service and will look into it. Will let you know. Maybe you can also inquire this from your dealer

Walter

My 08 does not have the wind noise issue. There's a TSB for both the 07 460 and 460L models:

http://www.lambros.net/tsib/2007LS/L-NV009-07.pdf

http://www.lambros.net/tsib/2007LS/L-NV010-07.pdf

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an LS460 for over one year and theTSB NV009-07 has been installed but with no improvement. My decibel meter reads about 85db at 70 mph, not any quieter than my other car or SUV. Supposedly the '08's do not have the problem so I tried to convince Lexus to alllow me a full purchase price trade in on an '08 and they refused. I really don't expect that Lexus will ever have a "fix" for the wind noise problem if thay haven't found one in over a year. For that kind of money and their previous reputation one would think that Lexus would be anxious to find a cure. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear so.

85 dB sounds way too loud...

Perhaps so but I get similar readings on the meter with the Mark Levinson stereo volume set at 30 and a diesel truck engine running next to a open window less than ten feet away. It's loud all right; painfully so. Lexus representatives drove the car after the service bulletin recommendations were applied and they admitted there was a serious issue. I'm currently displaying a bumper sticker that states "I'd Rather Be Driving a Titleist" - it's actually quieter on a golf course than it is inside the car at highway speeds. I've read other posts and there may be a new service bulletin arriving soon but I personally believe that the bean counters at Lexus have determined it's too costly or troublesome to fix to offset the amount of business they'll lose from dissatisfied owners.

Thank you for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

My special ordered 2008 LS460L has lot of wind noise at speeds above 45 mph when compared to 2006 LS430 Ultra Luxury package I own. The dealer admits the issue with no fix. My 2008 LS also make large clunking sounds (sometimes) while pressing brakes. Dealer admit to this as well.

Lexus never sent feedback surveys for my 2006 or 2008 LSs. Lexus should offer a solution for $85K car with ride quality of $40K car!

• 3 weeks later...
I have had my LS460 to the dealer 3 times because of wind noise. It still isn't fixed and they say there isn't anything else they can do. Has anyone had a successful repair for this problem?

Had the TSB and yes now very quiet, less noise of all kind compared to My Ls 430 and previous LS 400's. I think the problem might be that some of the dealer techs are skipping steps or training on your car. I had the Lexus tech who was coming to the dealerships to train the techs do it and all is OK. Not completely wind noise free but I have not driven a car that is.

• 3 months later...
I've had an LS460 for over one year and theTSB NV009-07 has been installed but with no improvement. My decibel meter reads about 85db at 70 mph, not any quieter than my other car or SUV. Supposedly the '08's do not have the problem so I tried to convince Lexus to alllow me a full purchase price trade in on an '08 and they refused. I really don't expect that Lexus will ever have a "fix" for the wind noise problem if thay haven't found one in over a year. For that kind of money and their previous reputation one would think that Lexus would be anxious to find a cure. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear so.

Are you still having a problem with wind noise?

• 4 weeks later...
I have had my LS460 to the dealer 3 times because of wind noise. It still isn't fixed and they say there isn't anything else they can do. Has anyone had a successful repair for this problem?

I picked up my LS 460 this after noon after having the TSIB NV009-07 performed which for my Vin# included both front glass replaced with Lamisafe glass. I noticed a significant difference. There is still some slight wind noise at speeds of 65-75 mph, however while at the dealership I test drove a late model 08' which has the lamisafe glass installed from the factory and it too had slight wind noise at the same speed range. Interested to know if anyone else has noticed this as well!

Thanks!

I picked up my LS 460 this after noon after having the TSIB NV009-07 performed which for my Vin# included both front glass replaced with Lamisafe glass. I noticed a significant difference. There is still some slight wind noise at speeds of 65-75 mph, however while at the dealership I test drove a late model 08' which has the lamisafe glass installed from the factory and it too had slight wind noise at the same speed range. Interested to know if anyone else has noticed this as well!

Thanks!

The "Wind Noise" problem occurs in the 2007 and 2008 LS460s and LS600s. Manifestations range from slight to severe, left or right or bilateral. The cause is a defect associated with the triangle trim at the corners of the windows in the front doors and some gaps under the trim where air gets in. There is an easy, inexpensive DIY fix. You can read about the fix at the link below. The discussion has grown quite long - many pages -but is interesting and informative through out.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352398

• 2 years later...

Yes, I have a U.S.A/2008 LS 460 and have had three fixes to the wind noise re: LF/RF windows of the vehicle with little or no effect. The noise is equlivant to driving with the driver's window down 1/2 inch or standing in a strong wind. Unlike the performance of my three previous LS 400-430's. Friends who have the later models seem to have no problem with noise. So on contacting Lexus I simply requested that the fixes to the problem in later models be applied to my car. Fixes other than glass replacement resulted in no change. Regarding the glass my Lexus/mechanic advised that Lexus installed single glaze glass as opposed to double fused glass which mine has. I always thought safety glass was double fused/laminated glass however I stand to be corrected. Suggestions anyone???

Ed S.

Your car very likely has the thick glass as most of the 2008s came that way. Only the 2007s and very early 2008s had the single pane glass.

Check here for an explanation: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/4137877-post443.html

You may find a solution for your wind noise problem here: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls460-ls460l-and-ls600h/506217-instructions-for-the-jmcraney-wind-noise-fix.html