Transmission

fsuguy

Hi can anyone help me with this problem - if i start the car in the morning, and shift from Park into L, then into R, I have reverse. But if the engine runs for a short while, then reverse does not work(?) Also, I don't have any drive (D, 2nd, L, etc.) until the engine has run for at least 30 minutes(?). R does not work at all unless the evil thing has been run hard for a while.

I have checked the fluid, and it appears to be full. Also, the O/D does not work consistently - feels like the beast stays in 3rd. Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Oops, the car is a '92 LS400

Thanks

:cries:

It does sound like a fluid problem, but you could also easily check the diagnostics readout on the transmission. If you use a short piece of wire to connect between the TE1 and E1 terminals of the diagnostics connector (one in engine bay, one in drivers footwell) and turn on the ignition the computer will tell you if there are any troubles with solenoids, clutches etc. Normal code is a steady on/off flashing of the "OD off" light.

See www.Lexls.com site for code reading guide. Fault codes will flash out, i.e. 2 flashes, pause, then 3 flashes would be a 23 error code. post any here for decoding.

It does sound like a fluid problem, but you could also easily check the diagnostics readout on the transmission. If you use a short piece of wire to connect between the TE1 and E1 terminals of the diagnostics connector (one in engine bay, one in drivers footwell) and turn on the ignition the computer will tell you if there are any troubles with solenoids, clutches etc. Normal code is a steady on/off flashing of the "OD off" light.

See www.Lexls.com site for code reading guide. Fault codes will flash out, i.e. 2 flashes, pause, then 3 flashes would be a 23 error code. post any here for decoding.

Bali26 & Leadfoot,

Thank you for the comments - I have been using Type IV, and also looked at the TE1 and EI jumped code (61); this translated into a speed sensor 2 problem! I have tried finding information from the two owners manuals (Vol 1 & 2) but there does not seem to be any other info on that, other than it may affect OD (4th gear) operation. I am waiting for a copy of RM235U (tranmission repair manual) to diagnose further, but do you think the solenoids may be intermittently gumming up? When I step on the brakes, the car does not brake smoothly - sort of like a mild juddering. Also, if it is the solenoids (1 or 2 I think), how difficult would it be to clean or change them?

Thank You Again