Oil Change?

My 2000 lexus es300 is now due for its 90,000km service. (i think that's around 60,000 miles??) Anyway. According to the owner's manual this service is basically just an oil change and a new oil filter. lexus wants to charge me $380 for this!!!

Do any of our forum members do this themselves and if so, are there any handy hints that I will need to know? Will I need a special tool to remove the filter?

Cheers

Stephen

Sydney.

My 2000 lexus es300 is now due for its 90,000km service. (i think that's around 60,000 miles??) Anyway. According to the owner's manual this service is basically just an oil change and a new oil filter. lexus wants to charge me $380 for this!!!

Do any of our forum members do this themselves and if so, are there any handy hints that I will need to know? Will I need a special tool to remove the filter?

Cheers

Stephen

Sydney.

I've been changing my own oil for more years than I care to admit.

Oil change(s) at a dealership is a RIP OFF, in my not-so-humble opinion.

My '93 es300 is so easy to do, my 11 year old can do it.

The only thing to watch out for (on the '93) is that the oil filter is mounted on an angle and up-side down.

I have a routine that includes a cardboard box bottom, a heavy trashcan liner laid on top of the cardboard and newspapers on top of that.

Then, the drain pan is placed on the newspapers.

I truly dislike oil stains on concrete. Especially MY concrete!

After draining the oil from the warmed up engine, wipe the threads and oil pan and replace drain plug.

Slide the drain pan under the oil filter.

Loosen the filter just enough for the oil to slowly drain from it, and let the oil go into the drain pan.

Here's a tip.

BRAKLEEN is your friend!

http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web...en?openDocument

Liberally spray the Brakleen onto the oil filter mount, to remove any crud left behind. (Either wipe dry with a CLEAN cloth, or, it will dry quickly by itself!)

I wipe the mounting flange clean . . . and dry.

Now, here is what a LOT of people don't do. . . . Look at your old filter and be CERTAIN that the gasket is still on the old filter!

IF the gasket remains on the filter mounting location, you WILL have a leak when you install the new filter, unless you remove it.

Wet the tip of your (clean) finger with fresh, clean oil, and rub it on the new gasket, and in the threads of the new filter.

Careful!!!!!!! The threads can be sharp!

Spin the new filter on, and tighten no more than 3/4 to 1 turn after the filter touches the mounting flange. (Overtighten the filter, and you can crush the gasket, causing a leak. Don't ask how I know this!)

Then, use some Brakleen to spray down the oil pan and any of the undercarriage that has oil on it.

Here is where the newspaper and trashcan liner are a godsend.

When you are finished, you can carefully turn the trashcan liner inside-out, and your newspapers will be inside the liner!

Mess contained!

My list of necessities:

Vinyl or latex gloves. (No need in getting your hands messed up for an oil change.)

4 car ramps. (About $15.00 each at PepBoys.) You don't have to buy 4, but, when you start doing other maintenance and repairs, the other pair are handy.

Drain pan

Cardboard

Trashcan liners. (one or two)

One or two sections of newspaper

Brakleen

Rags

Oil

Oil Filter

Funnel

14 mm wrench (Double-check your drain plug size!)

oil filter wrench (Make sure the wrench is the correct size. I prefer the 'band' type.)

Empty container large enough to hold old oil. (Take old oil to recycling center, then keep container. They can be used over and over, again. I use 5 gallon containers!)

Safety glasses. (The first time you get 'crap' falling into your eyes and mouth, under the car, you'll thank me.)

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Stephen

Sydney.

This is one of a few reasons why I dislike Lexus (at times). There prices are flat-out a joke on certain things, one is oil changes. or the check this and that and really do nothing for the high price. But that is me.