Dvd Ripper

nc211

I got a program called "Max Media Manager PRO" for my psp, and a 2 gig memory stick. I'm wanting to put some movies on it so I can watch them while travelling. I have a decent collection of DVDs that I'm hoping to unlock into a tranferrable format, so Max Media can put them on the psp. Anyone have any suggestions for a good DVD ripper that can unlock these flicks? I paid for them already, not wanting to clean out Blockbuster with illegal copies, but also don't think it's fair I should have to pay again for the same movie, just because it's on a smaller disc.

Thanks guys!

thought i would pass along the knowledge I learned. A free program called DVD Shrink will copy & compress the DVD to your hard drive, then take the Max Pro software and convert+compress it even further, subject to your settings for quality, screen size, sound, etc.. It saves it either on the psp memory stick, or puts it on your computer and you can pull it over into the video folder yourself on the psp. The process is a little "notchy", but after doing it a couple of times, you learn how and it's pretty easy from there. The compression ability is amazing, a quality is excellent. For instance, I transferred my #1 all-time favorite movie, The Right Stuff, to the psp. It's a 4 hour movie, totalling over 10 gigs of DVD space. The program was able to compress it down to just 425mb! You'll want a 2 gig memory stick for the psp. I know have 250 songs, The Right Stuff, and seasons 1 & 2 of Seinfeld on it. Both are 16:9 aspect, and look darn near close to my HD plasma at home. Those little Sony PSP's are amazing little gadgets! Play games, watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, all in the palm of your hand. Great travel companion!

Note: The reason why I've done this is to use it while travelling. I fly up and down the east coast probably 30 times a year, and get stuck in airports and on planes all the time, sometimes for hours. Last time was in DC, sitting in the back of a puddle-jumper on the tarmac for 3 hours! Now, I have something to do other than working, and it can fit in my briefcase.

thought i would pass along the knowledge I learned. A free program called DVD Shrink will copy & compress the DVD to your hard drive, then take the Max Pro software and convert+compress it even further, subject to your settings for quality, screen size, sound, etc.. It saves it either on the psp memory stick, or puts it on your computer and you can pull it over into the video folder yourself on the psp. The process is a little "notchy", but after doing it a couple of times, you learn how and it's pretty easy from there. The compression ability is amazing, a quality is excellent. For instance, I transferred my #1 all-time favorite movie, The Right Stuff, to the psp. It's a 4 hour movie, totalling over 10 gigs of DVD space. The program was able to compress it down to just 425mb! You'll want a 2 gig memory stick for the psp. I know have 250 songs, The Right Stuff, and seasons 1 & 2 of Seinfeld on it. Both are 16:9 aspect, and look darn near close to my HD plasma at home. Those little Sony PSP's are amazing little gadgets! Play games, watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, all in the palm of your hand. Great travel companion!

Note: The reason why I've done this is to use it while travelling. I fly up and down the east coast probably 30 times a year, and get stuck in airports and on planes all the time, sometimes for hours. Last time was in DC, sitting in the back of a puddle-jumper on the tarmac for 3 hours! Now, I have something to do other than working, and it can fit in my briefcase.

DVD FAB, I also have DVD Shrink...but I like the way DVD FAB works better. They have two price options get the more expensive of the two. It updates for free.