Key Will Not Turn , Oh No !

hrly68

I have been waiting for it to happen and it finally did . my key has been sticking and not opening the drivers side for about a week now . I have been using lubricants to help the operation but today when i turned the key to open the door , something cracked and the key got stuck . the door was not unlocked and the key would not come out . after about ten minutes of wiggling , the key came out but the door was still locked . the passenger side will now open so i can open the car but the big problem is the alarm will not turn on . it used to come on when you locked any side but now the drivers side is broke and keeping the alarm from coming on . it seems to be in a open position but not operating the lock mechanism . i have to open the door from the inside .

i guess the real question is not how much will it cost me to get it fixed but where ? the dealer , a repair shop , a locksmith , myself with used parts ?

can any of the smart lexus owners out there offer any advice and how and where i can get a door lock fixed ?

post-39839-1198996226_thumb.jpg

when we bought ours, it came with a separate keyed lock for the drivers door. it wore out, just like yours.

wish the previous owner had dealt with that in a less annoying fashion, but it works with the different key just fine. the little red alarm light comes on periodically when the car is locked.

when we bought ours, it came with a separate keyed lock for the drivers door. it wore out, just like yours.

wish the previous owner had dealt with that in a less annoying fashion, but it works with the different key just fine. the little red alarm light comes on periodically when the car is locked.

I wonder were I can have that done ?

You have a couple of options. Since you have the key out of the lock, you can either go to the dealership and get a new lock for that door, (or get a used door lock from a wrecking yard) and take it to a locksmith and have it set up to match the key. Then either take the car to the dealership and have them put the new lock into the door, or do it yourself. Personally, I would get a new or used lock, get a locksmith to match it to the key, and because I've done enough car mechanics and restoration myself, I'd take the interior door panel off and put in the new lock. If you have that ability, it will be your cheapest route. If you don't have the experience to tear a door apart, you'll have no choice but to go to a dealer or independent garage that is used to repairing collision damage. It is not a job for the inexperienced who haven't the tools and have never done it before, but then again it is not rocket science. Good Luck!

You have a couple of options. Since you have the key out of the lock, you can either go to the dealership and get a new lock for that door, (or get a used door lock from a wrecking yard) and take it to a locksmith and have it set up to match the key. Then either take the car to the dealership and have them put the new lock into the door, or do it yourself. Personally, I would get a new or used lock, get a locksmith to match it to the key, and because I've done enough car mechanics and restoration myself, I'd take the interior door panel off and put in the new lock. If you have that ability, it will be your cheapest route. If you don't have the experience to tear a door apart, you'll have no choice but to go to a dealer or independent garage that is used to repairing collision damage. It is not a job for the inexperienced who haven't the tools and have never done it before, but then again it is not rocket science. Good Luck!

Once again , I am glad I joined this forum ! everytime I get in a jam and look for answers here - I get them !

that sounds like the right way for me to go but I think I will take it to the dealer though . I needed direction and this is good direction .

another problem questioned and another problem answered !

thanks .