Rear End Clunk When Downshifting

lenny Halzel

I have a 14 month old 2003 RX300. For many months now, I get an intermittent loud "whirring/whining" sound in what seems to be my right rear of the car. It only seems to appear when I am going very slowly (under 10mph) and is not related to braking---it comes when I brake or when I am just slowly drifting. It happens when I am turning or just going straight. Naturally, whenever I take it to the dealer, the sound is not there. And of course the dealer tells me that they have never had any similar complaints other than mine. Does ANYONE know what this is about? Is it related to this transmission problem?

My RX330 exhibited the whining and clunking problems (when slowing down). After a few complaints and showing them some postings on this board, they applied a fix that hasn't been made official. The fix includes a "spacer" which adds room between the transmission line and the vehicle chasis. The purpose is to shield the line so the whining noise is not evident inside the cabin.

As with the clunking problem, the fix is to apply TSB004 or greater, reset the ECM's learned values AND use premium gasoline (91 or better). I was using 87 all along, even after the TSB004 update. Finally, I was told to put in 91 octane AND have my ECM reset. Tried it, and the clunking noise went away.

The third problem -- shifting hesitation -- is by design. Yes, like many others, I have adjusted and learned to deal with it. Typically, when I drive at freeway speeds, I have no problem passing. The vehicle provides plenty of power for me to pass effortlessly without "flooring" it. I would agree though that electronic throttle control is something that needs improvement.

LoyalLexus-er,

The wining/whirring noise at low speed is probably coming from the right rear wheel bearing dust seal. It is not uncommon, depending on your environment, to have this sound. Please be sure thee is no danger, just let the dealer you had heard that some of these dust seals lack lubrication and are causing this noise.

Good Luck, let me know how you make out.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

So has the whining/wining/clucking noise at low speed been solved? Is there any official fix from Lexus? My car has the same issue. When I drive around 40 mph with 4th gear and release gas paddle, I can hear noise. When I accelerate, the noise is gone. Actually, the engine noise covers it. I am not sure if the noise is gone.

:blink: