Catalytic Converter Smell

I have a 2008 IS250 AWD with 4000 miles. 2 or 3 times a day the catalytic converter smells. Whats up with this? I read on a search that it could be normal...is that true? Thanks for you help.

Joel F

There's a TSIB issued by Lexus for this... http://is350.grantham-international.com/ts...m%20Exhaust.pdf

• 10 months later...
I have a 2008 IS250 AWD with 4000 miles. 2 or 3 times a day the catalytic converter smells. Whats up with this? I read on a search that it could be normal...is that true? Thanks for you help.

Joel F

There's a TSIB issued by Lexus for this... http://is350.grantham-international.com/ts...m%20Exhaust.pdf

Is it my computer or does this link not work? I get a pdf error when Adobe tries to open the file.

• 1 year later...
Here's a new link:

Lexus TSB listings

Do you remember what this TSB stated? I took my car in last week for its service, and complained about that smell I've been having, and they've been on ALL three of my 250s. Especially when my hubby is in the car, and heading uphill. They told me to use a different 91 gas. I use about four different gas stations. Doh!

Later edit, found it:

TSIB EG001-03 (All Models): Sulfur Odor From Exhaust

Some owners of Lexus vehicles may experience a sulfur–like or “rotten egg” odor from the exhaust system. Sulfur is a natural component of crude oil from which gasoline is refined and the amount of sulfur can be decreased through the refining process. The amount of sulfur in fuel sold in California is regulated, however gasoline sold in other states can have substantially higher sulfur content. Sulfur content also varies considerably between gasoline brands and locations.