Updating Generation/changes Associated With Versions

Two Questions

A bit confused as to why needs to stay within a generation. If the nagivation system is a computer, why can one not update its operationg system?

I am considering updating from Version 4 (gen2/3) to 7.1 (generation?). Where can one find out the changes that have occured between versions?

thanks in advance

gary

Two Questions

A bit confused as to why needs to stay within a generation. If the nagivation system is a computer, why can one not update its operationg system?

I am considering updating from Version 4 (gen2/3) to 7.1 (generation?). Where can one find out the changes that have occured between versions?

thanks in advance

gary

You can't add Windows Vista to an old computer. Why? The processor and memory won't meet the minumum requirements.

If you have a GEN 2/3, 4 or 5 system (you didn't say what the vehicle year and model were) then you will always have a GEN 2/3, 4 or 5 system. However, when you buy and update it will ONLY update the mapping information with new streets, POIs, etc.

Two Questions

thanks in advance

gary

You can't add Windows Vista to an old computer. Why? The processor and memory won't meet the minumum requirements.

If you have a GEN 2/3, 4 or 5 system (you didn't say what the vehicle year and model were) then you will always have a GEN 2/3, 4 or 5 system. However, when you buy and update it will ONLY update the mapping information with new streets, POIs, etc.

If it is a hardware issue, can it be updated (e.g. memory) or does it require the complete navigation sysytem to be replaced?

Two Questions

thanks in advance

gary

If it is a hardware issue, can it be updated (e.g. memory) or does it require the complete navigation sysytem to be replaced?

Unfortunetely, no alternative hardware can be added other than aftermarket gear.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a similar question. I have a 2002 RX300 and the Nav unit has gone bad, seems common. Anyone know where I can get this fixed, or where I could get the parts, I could definitely fix it myself. Also, it just seems to me that any unit that has the same connections in the back.... i.e. gen 4/5 same form factor unit could be plugged in,... is the computer actually in the rear unit or is it in the dash behind the screen, if it is in the unit that holds the DVD I guess the question is can the front monitor handle the video and is the wiring the same. Anybody have a clue on this .. it's just soooo expensive to experiment. Ugh.. so frustrating that Lexus wants $5300 for a new unit, or $1600 for a refurb.

Thanks, Bill