Mazzuri Headers

Xer0817

Is it worth it? That my freind is the ever so internal question you must ask, and answer yourself. Most people don't think a turbo is worth the trouble and price either. But there are a few who do it anyway.

I can tell you that there are hp gains there. If memory serves me though, the Mazzuri was like 600-800 bucks? The Megan header is half that in price.

When it comes to headers, here is the deal. The header is flow designed and tuned to the exhaust valves. You have two motion factors, one is the air push from the engine. When the exhaust valve opens the piston forces air out of the cylinder thru the exhaust port and into the header. The other motion factor is the sound, or sonic wave. The length of the header pipe is tuned to the sonic wave, which helps the air flow thru the pipe better, imagine a surfer paddling along and then the wave comes and propells him. That's what the sonic wave does in a header. ( I'm keeping it simple for ease of understading for everyone.) In the old days they used to have "tuners" in racing. That was their job, tuning headers. It was an art. But now with cad designs, they have it worked out.

That's why long tube headers flow a bit better, as they can carry the sonic wave further before hitting the end of the header and returning. But, in order to fully use the capability of a performance header you should also consider cams and adjustable cam gears, ( get five bolt, all three bolt cam gears are junk!)

But also remember that with long tubes, if you have your car lowered, you may, I say may as I'm not sure with the IS 300, but you may have clearance issues. I know that on the older SC300's, if you run long tubes they were like 2 inches above the ground. So if your car was lowered, every bump tapped them on the concrete. NOT a good idea. So make sure you ask that question before buying them if your car is or you plan on lowering your car.

So if your not going that far, then save your money and get the Megan race header. Mazzuri claims like 25 hp, Megan claims 18 hp. It's all up to u man.

Is it worth it? That my freind is the ever so internal question you must ask, and answer yourself. Most people don't think a turbo is worth the trouble and price either. But there are a few who do it anyway.

I can tell you that there are hp gains there. If memory serves me though, the Mazzuri was like 600-800 bucks? The Megan header is half that in price.

When it comes to headers, here is the deal. The header is flow designed and tuned to the exhaust valves. You have two motion factors, one is the air push from the engine. When the exhaust valve opens the piston forces air out of the cylinder thru the exhaust port and into the header. The other motion factor is the sound, or sonic wave. The length of the header pipe is tuned to the sonic wave, which helps the air flow thru the pipe better, imagine a surfer paddling along and then the wave comes and propells him. That's what the sonic wave does in a header. ( I'm keeping it simple for ease of understading for everyone.) In the old days they used to have "tuners" in racing. That was their job, tuning headers. It was an art. But now with cad designs, they have it worked out.

That's why long tube headers flow a bit better, as they can carry the sonic wave further before hitting the end of the header and returning. But, in order to fully use the capability of a performance header you should also consider cams and adjustable cam gears, ( get five bolt, all three bolt cam gears are junk!)

But also remember that with long tubes, if you have your car lowered, you may, I say may as I'm not sure with the IS 300, but you may have clearance issues. I know that on the older SC300's, if you run long tubes they were like 2 inches above the ground. So if your car was lowered, every bump tapped them on the concrete. NOT a good idea. So make sure you ask that question before buying them if your car is or you plan on lowering your car.

So if your not going that far, then save your money and get the Megan race header. Mazzuri claims like 25 hp, Megan claims 18 hp. It's all up to u man.

Wow. Very detailed. Thank you that helps my decesion.

You talked about the cam gears, do you have any reccomendations for that?

I like Unorthodox Racing Cam gears, or the new Tru-time adjustable cam gears from AEM. AEM is a little less money, but Unorthodox has proven itself. They both have 10 degrees marked from advance to !Removed!, which makes things a bit easier. Personally, I like the way the Unorthodox looks to.

I've seen alot of people use the HKS, but they are only 3 bolt and Iv'e seen them slip.IMHO, Tomei, Greddy and Fidanza's are all better then HKS.