Lack Of Getty-up, Is This Normal?

Rookie

This question got lost in the BIG INCIDENT.

I'm wondering if I've got a problem in my transmission shifting or if I'm just not used to these big vehicles. I graduated from a two-seater that could get out of it's own way when you push the pedal. But I've noticed a real lack of power, mostly when trying to accelerate on an incline in the 30 mph to 50 mph range (acceleration lane on the interstate). No matter how much I try to goose it, it doesn't want to down shift for more power. Just kind of creeps through the 2000 rpm range. Is this normal? Doesn't seem to have this problem at lower start-up speeds.

I've always heard the 4-runners couldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats butt, but I didn't think the LX-450/LC's had this same problem.

Thanks for your input,

Rookie

They can be a bit slow off the start and up some hills. I've had problems with mine hunting for the right gear, but never had problems with it not down-shifting.

One thing that I do in those situations is that I turn on the PWR button. It changes the shift pattern so that it stays in the higher end of the rev pattern before shifting. It uses a bit more fuel, but you'll probably find that you're able to get out of your own way...

Another thing you can do is to disable the over drive. The button on the shift lever will enable/disable. Based on your description of what happened on the hill, it sounds like you were in the wrong gear -- like you were cruising along in 4th gear and not downshifting to 3rd in time. By manually turning off the OD, you force shifting down to third.

With the combination of the OD and PWR buttons, you should have enough power to cruise up most hills.

HTH.

Doug

It would be interesting to know how many miles are on your vehicle. Mine doesn't exhibit that problem. Mine moves along quite smartly compared to my 7 series BMW.

By the way, Thank You for the FAX. It really helped. Which Manual is that, it looks fairly informative.

Again Thanks

Tom

It just turned 69,000 on the mileage. It must be in third gear when this deal occurs, because clicking off the overdrive doesn't make the vehicle downshift. I know the tranny fluids were just changed out and typically it shifts pretty smoothly, so I'm not exactly sure what the deal is. I'll try horsing with the power button.

Tom,

The fax I sent you was out of Chilton's Toyota Pick-ups/Landcruiser/4runner 1997-00 Repair Manual. Glad it helped, and thanks for your help.

Rookie.

I went from 2002 Tundra V8 to a 1997 LX450. The difference in available power was surprising, but the LX was never built for speed. There is a TRD turbo kit available for LX/LC that (reportedly) boosts hp from 220 to over 300, but it would take your gas mileage from bad to worse.

There is a TRD turbo kit available for LX/LC that (reportedly) boosts hp from 220 to over 300, but it would take your gas mileage from bad to worse.

No, the gas mileage really isn't affected by the turbo. The supercharger doesn't affect mileage either. Uh...assuming you can keep your foot off the skinny pedal...

Assuming "normal" acceleration, you should expect about the same mileage (or maybe 1 or 2 mpg better) with the turbo or supercharger.

The kit from TRD is a supercharger, not a turbo. TRD tends to run a "special" once a year that brings the price of these down to around 2000 to 2500. Check ebay from time to time for the kits too.

The supercharger does require premium fuel, you it will hit you in the pocket book.

Doug