Thinking Of Buying A 95 Ls400

SRK

Hi all:

I am going to look at a 95 LS 400 - cashmere beige metallic with tan interior and only 71,000 kms on it, which is about 42,000 miles. It's my father-in-law that wants it and I don't want to steer him wrong. I have heard that these early second gen cars had a computer problem that caused stalling after a highway run, and perhaps there is a recall or a TSB on this? I know to look for hood struts, front suspension bushings, and power steering pump leaks.

It's a very clean car looking at the photos, but it's three hours away. Guy wants 15k Canadian for it.

Any help with the particulars of the 95 model year would be appreciated.

SRK

I personally think 15K Canadian is way too much for a 95 LS400. I know the mileage is very low but for me that price is way too high. I am also looking to buy a 95 LS400 but with a lot more mileage and he is asking about 7000 Canadian. But that is in Ontario.

There is a TSB on that issue, and it involves replacing the ECM, cruise control computer, and spark plugs. If you get the computers from a salvage yard, it's not an expensive fix since the computers are both located behind the glovebox.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can imagine that in Ontario the cars are worth somewhat less - out on the west coast Ontario cars are avoided, and many older cars from here are sold to the eastern provinces because of how little road salt we use. I hope to get the car for about 13k as it needs a t-belt service and all fluids changed.

Hi all:

I am going to look at a 95 LS 400 - cashmere beige metallic with tan interior and only 71,000 kms on it, which is about 42,000 miles. It's my father-in-law that wants it and I don't want to steer him wrong. I have heard that these early second gen cars had a computer problem that caused stalling after a highway run, and perhaps there is a recall or a TSB on this? I know to look for hood struts, front suspension bushings, and power steering pump leaks.

It's a very clean car looking at the photos, but it's three hours away. Guy wants 15k Canadian for it.

Any help with the particulars of the 95 model year would be appreciated.

SRK

The only problem we have had with our '95 LS is a broken EGR tube, expensive, that.

This may be blasphemy here but I cannot make up my mind between a LS400(1992 to 1995) or a BMW 740(1997/98). I drove both cars when in UK but had the LS400(94) for a short time. The 740 has all the controls on the steering wheel and has got more options

its not blasphemy, if you can afford repairs on the the BMW the go and get it. It drives much nicer than ls400's. I can't afford repairs so i got an LS400. Cheapest car in the class to buy and maintain. Plus its the most reliable and smoothest.

you are comparing 98 car to a 90-94 car?:) these are different generations. i agree about the repairs. so far the only things i did on my 96 LS were tbelt, water pump, suspension and brake rotors. i got that LS wheni was rather young and i drove it very aggressively, it survived without requiring any significant repairs and currently has over 165k miles.

Now I am more confused :) . The BMW I had did not need any repairs either but I guess I got lucky. I prefer the quietness of the LS400 but did feel that the car was a bit low on the ground than the BMW. Maybe I should have checked the suspension.

I think I will drive both and see how it goes.

Thanks