Warning Message

I own a 2007 lexus rx400h I have the oil changed every 4000 miles. I just had it done at a Toyota dealer. Every time I start the car I get a nastygram that says'"maint due soon" I was told by the Lexus dealer that a tech would call me and tell me that he'd walk me thru getting rid of it. Hasn't happened.

Anyone had this problem and resolved it, if so, how??

I own a 2007 lexus rx400h I have the oil changed every 4000 miles. I just had it done at a Toyota dealer. Every time I start the car I get a nastygram that says'"maint due soon" I was told by the Lexus dealer that a tech would call me and tell me that he'd walk me thru getting rid of it. Hasn't happened.

At the risk of insulting one's intelligence, have you checked the owner's manual? I have a 2006 and maintenance manual, in the scheduled Maintenance Log has a note by the "Replace engine ooil and oil filter" which points to a note which reads, "Reset the oil replacement reminder ("MAINT REQD") light after replacing engine oil. Referring to the Owner's Manual, the index led me to the section discussing "MAINT REQD SOON" and "MAINT REQD". A line there reads "See following "resetting the system" of (4) "MAINT REQQD" for the procedure to reset the system. Lo, on the following page is "Resetting the system". It then lists the three steps for resetting! The first step is a little confusing but essentially it is saying that you need to have the odometer reading in the display when you turn your engine off prior to following the procedure.

Net is... read your Owner's Manual if you're going to do service yourself! :cheers: Which leads me to ask if you 'serviced' the A/C filter while you're changing the oil. I make it a habit to remove the A/C filter and vacuum it as clean as possible and then use my compressed air to finish cleaning it. You can extend the life of the filter and quality of your A/C air will be consistently cleaner!

r6264,

Your last response didn't include any additional comments, so I deleted it. Perhaps you hit the "Add Reply" too soon?

Best regards,

Dave

r6264,

Your last response didn't include any additional comments, so I deleted it. Perhaps you hit the "Add Reply" too soon?

Best regards,

Dave

Sorry about that,fact is I did read the manual and no where in it did it tell me where to reset the warning message. If your manual is different, you might steer me towards resetting it,

Kind regards, Rich

Click on this link for instructions to reset the light. Make sure the ODO is not on Trip A or Trip B but rather the total miles. Using the search engine on this site will steer you to many answers.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=39975

Click on this link for instructions to reset the light. Make sure the ODO is not on Trip A or Trip B but rather the total miles. Using the search engine on this site will steer you to many answers.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=39975

Thank you Dixon,

One of many great things about our forum here is, all the helpful people. Granted, many of us here (me included) will make a quick, "the search tool is a wonderful thing" humor comment ... then follow up with the answer that folks are looking for. The manuals can be tough to wade through, and knowing that knowledgable folks are right here at out fingertips is very cool. So if we all simply answer 'read the manual' ... our forum would be pretty slim :unsure: That being said, thanks for all the patient, knowledgable folks who continue to answer the same questions over & over again, while those not quite up to speed, continue to get the hang of things. We recently had what reminded me (on our other hybrid) of the "red triangle of death" appear on the console of our 400h ... only to have the dealer tell us it simply means 'service time'. What?!? RED ?!? For a simple reminder ?? Sheesh. One would think that they'd mearly use yellow for a reminder. RED, to most folks means VERY serious ... like you just lost your oil pressure, etc. Maybe it's just me.

I agree about the posts that only advise to "read the manual (you idiot)" or "do a search (you moron)", parenthesis implied. It takes as much time to flame someone as it does to help out with the answer or to provide direction.

I, too, have appreciated all of the patient, courteous, and knowledgeable people on this site that are willing to share what they have learned. My comment about doing a search was to open up possibilities since the link provided may not have all of the answers.

Because the early Lexus models were subject to oil sludge damage, Toyota sees that as a major maintenance issue. It is not cheap to replace an entire engine. The screaming red warning light is more for their corporate pocketbook than for the end-user. Nevertheless, I appreciate the reminder since it is so easy to turn off.

I agree about the posts that only advise to "read the manual (you idiot)" or "do a search (you moron)", parenthesis implied. It takes as much time to flame someone as it does to help out with the answer or to provide direction.

I, too, have appreciated all of the patient, courteous, and knowledgeable people on this site that are willing to share what they have learned. My comment about doing a search was to open up possibilities since the link provided may not have all of the answers.

Because the early Lexus models were subject to oil sludge damage, Toyota sees that as a major maintenance issue. It is not cheap to replace an entire engine. The screaming red warning light is more for their corporate pocketbook than for the end-user. Nevertheless, I appreciate the reminder since it is so easy to turn off.

Your point about a response "Read the Manual" is well taken. My only defense to such is that MY MANUAL does not say it applies to a 2007 or 2008 so I don't want to !Removed!ume the instructions would be the same. Your point is that it is not in the 2007 RX400h manual! I don't know why Lexus chose to exclude it! I suppose I should have read the post and pitched rather than suggest the path I personally followed since my vehicle is a 2006 RX400h. I have read some responses for problems which suggested they applied to my vehicle when in fact they did NOT apply to mine! I spent a lot of time going down the primrose path for a solution only to have the respondent confess he had a different year and his solution MIGHT NOT apply to my car. I was a bit peeved especially when I asked about the solution for my model/year!

The point is that for items documented in the owners manual, and I have that year/model, I would always suggest the search start in the manual and would provide the key word for the search in the index such as MAINT! If the question is regarding my year/model, I'd still probably quote the page number and then might extend additional comments regarding the procedure if I felt they were justified. Just my preference rather than suggesting a procedure which Lexus may have chosen to change for a year/model. In the mean time, I'll check around to find a 2007 RX400h owner's manual!