Repost About Starting Problem

bbsal

since the web site crashed i will repost about my starting problem incase someone replied and i didnt get a chance to see it.

my car starts fine in the morning but after i drive it awhile and go to restart it i have to crank alot for it to start.i still cant figure this out!any help is appreciated!

Lower octane would make it easier to start.

Does the car start if you press the gas pedal a bit, if it does will it cut off if you let go?

Does the car turn over when you turn the key?

Does it sound like it is tryign to start at all or jus the starter is turning?

maybe i should of put more info about it.

it starts on perfect in the moring.(first turn and it cranks right up)

after driving for a bit and warming the motor if i shut the car off and go to restart it ,it cranks but dont start right up(just cranks like its not getting fuel).

then i stop cranking and start cranking again and it starts right up.sort of like the fuel pump isnt getting enough pressure to start it but yet in the moring it starts right up.i cant figure it out.

doesnt make a difference if i push the gas or not.

it cranks fine but just dont kick over.

and i have 87 octane that my wife put in the car once but it still does the same thing.i just cleaned the throttle out and also oil change yesterday but it did it again today to me after i got dont washing it and then trying to start it.

i've had this problem before on a few older cars. not on lexus.

1. change your fuel filter (this is most ignored stuff)

2. hit gas pedal about 3-4 times to start the car. if it doesn't start up, give 2-3 more gas. if it still doesn't start up..wait 10 minutes to flush the gas out of the combustion chambers (it's flooded with gas)

3. check for fuel pressure

that's about all i know.

The toyota filters are pretty big and tehy don't have to be changed much because theere is a silt filter in the base of the tank which stops most particles from destroying the pump .So only very small things get to the pump or filter.Which is why it takes so long if ever to get clogged.

I changed mine once, it was a complete waste of time,once i opened it up iit was as clean as a new one after 4 years of use.

• 3 years later...
since the web site crashed i will repost about my starting problem incase someone replied and i didnt get a chance to see it.

my car starts fine in the morning but after i drive it awhile and go to restart it i have to crank alot for it to start.i still cant figure this out!any help is appreciated!

Did you ever find out what the issue/cause was my 94 is doing the same thing. Any help would be great.

bbsal's no longer a member here...wow this thread is almost 4 years old...

It's ironic, but I have the exact same problem and searched to find an owner's forum...AND this issue was right on top. So, I joined the group!

I have the same problem with a '97 ES300 and it's not going away.

The dealer has replaced the starter and the battery. But after driving along and stopping (say for gas), it will often not restart the first time IF it hasn't been long since it was shut off.

In addition, when I start it normally, the start-up just seems "weak".

Any ideas??

He's probably still in jail. LOL

Ok so he mignt be??

Let get back to the starting problem, my next door 1999 ES300 is doing the same thing. After riding with them and made stops at two different stores. Try starting the car after sitting for 15 mins. it will start for 2 seconds and dies immediately. Anyone out there as a solution to the problem?

It's ironic, but I have the exact same problem and searched to find an owner's forum...AND this issue was right on top. So, I joined the group!

I have the same problem with a '97 ES300 and it's not going away.

The dealer has replaced the starter and the battery. But after driving along and stopping (say for gas), it will often not restart the first time IF it hasn't been long since it was shut off.

In addition, when I start it normally, the start-up just seems "weak".

Any ideas??

I am having the same problems with a 99 es300 coach edition. The car has spark, but will not ignite. In other words, it will crank but not actuall stay running. The RPM gauge shoots up, and then dies. So, I went and bought a fuel filter tonight. I am going to try and replace this week if I get time. I will let you know what happens.