Best Car?

LEXIE

Which is the better car of the two:

A 1993 SC400, let's say like new, or a new Lexus IS...choice of small or large engine.

Or put another way, if the two were side by side brand new, which would you choose??

L

The first gen SC's are timeless cars, They will always hold there own IMO. I really do not care for the modern designs of lexus cars. :whistles:

the IS is a very nice car. i had one as a loaner for a couple of days. not to put a fine point on it - but its not really fair to compare the top of the Lexus line with bottom of the Lexus line. I like the SC and the cash. I can live without the new car smell and the new gadgets.

dc.."The first gen SC's are timeless cars"

I keep telling my wife that and the mere fact that I only have 73K miles on my '93, why should I

change. She has a hard time driving the SC and wants a 4 door. The IS 4 door only has marginaly bigger

back seat leg room than the SC and I don't want to go to the other Lexus models because of price. Plus,

trade in value and/or private sale is a big laugh cosidering how classy a car the SC is especially when in pristine

condition. As alicias said, I don't need fancy gadgets and the new car smell and above all, every time I drive

this car it is like a new experience. Guess I am just trying to reconcile my keeping the car... "Sorry wifey, the '97

Honda CRV 'run about' wagon will have to do".

As an added note, my total expenses to date for this car is about $2500 over a 15 yr period. This includes all oil

changes (25) and other fluid changes, tires, belts, headlamps, etc., ...everything except gasoline of course.

Maybe I am a bit lucky but I think it has more to due to with the claim that Lexus is truly a low maintenance car.

Thx for your comments,

L

I keep telling my wife that and the mere fact that I only have 73K miles on my '93, why should I

change. She has a hard time driving the SC and wants a 4 door. The IS 4 door only has marginaly bigger

back seat leg room than the SC and I don't want to go to the other Lexus models because of price. Plus,

trade in value and/or private sale is a big laugh cosidering how classy a car the SC is especially when in pristine

condition. As alicias said, I don't need fancy gadgets and the new car smell and above all, every time I drive

this car it is like a new experience. Guess I am just trying to reconcile my keeping the car... "Sorry wifey, the '97

As an added note, my total expenses to date for this car is about $2500 over a 15 yr period. This includes all oil

changes (25) and other fluid changes, tires, belts, headlamps, etc., ...everything except gasoline of course.

Maybe I am a bit lucky but I think it has more to due to with the claim that Lexus is truly a low maintenance car.

Thx for your comments,

L

:cheers: Once a Lex Always.............. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for your comments,

L

I completely agree. I bought my 93 SC400 new and still drive it everyday. It is by far the best car I have every owned and while I know that the day will come when I'll trade her in, at this time I have no desire for another car. Well unless you have a Continental GT or DB9 you'd like to trade. My SC is still as solid as the day we drove it home from the dealer. It is also the most economical car I've every owned. It is serviced by the dealer and they always have a buyer for it when I come back to pick it up after any servicing. So I'd have to say if you enjoy a car that is fast, powerful and like sitting in your favorite livingroom chair, I'd go for the SC! Remember new they sold for 55K and that was in 93. A lot of money then and as it still is today.

W

The lexus IS is a BMW 3 series wannabe. It is nicely designed and finished with a corporate workman like body and interior.

The early lexus SC400 is a classic with a body style that is still nicer than anything lexus now produces and has an elegant and functional interior that is superior to my LS430. The SC400 has been voted by some as one of the best 10 cars ever produced. No one has ever said that about the lexus IS. If you are under 5'8" the rear form fitting seats of the SC400 are very comfortable. The stock car has good acceleration, excellent brakes, and handles almost as well as my porsche since I put on Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD tires and it is a lot more functional. The SC400 is what a true GT (grand tourer) should be; a comfortable tourer that can handle the road like a sports car when needed.

NO CONTEST: The SC400 is a classic

• 1 month later...

A 93' SC400 is a bit dated in some aspects. That's why I bought a 97', after they gave it a refresh. I would say the 97-00 SCs were the point of perfection in design. The thing I hate the most about the early SC's are the taillights. Sorry to all you purists out there, but they're just SOOO early 90s looking. Also, the SC wasn't availible in rennaissance red back in 93.

Aside from these slight critics I have of the early SCs, there is no car today which I love more than the 1st gen SC. This car was a timeless classic and there just isn't anything out in the market today that can change my love for my car. If I had a choice of buying my 97' SC400 and buying a new M3 or a G37 coupe, I would still take my SC400.