Garmin Info

nc211

Ho ho ho everybody, hope everyone had a nice holiday! All was well here, packed house with family, packed belly with food, packed liver with booze.

Got a Garmin Nuvi 200 navigation unit for Christmas, and was wondering if anyone knew or can advise me on cool tricks and updates. I noticed last night that it is a bit out of date on the mapping side "doesn't recognize a newly opened freeway extension that's been open for about 6-8 months". I've registered it on their website, got some sort of unlock code, which I have no idea what that does, and don't see any updates available for the mapping. When I first started the unit, I noticed the software was 2005, which seems a bit old to me, or maybe it was the Corona-goggles.

Ho ho ho everybody, hope everyone had a nice holiday! All was well here, packed house with family, packed belly with food, packed liver with booze.

Got a Garmin Nuvi 200 navigation unit for Christmas, and was wondering if anyone knew or can advise me on cool tricks and updates. I noticed last night that it is a bit out of date on the mapping side "doesn't recognize a newly opened freeway extension that's been open for about 6-8 months". I've registered it on their website, got some sort of unlock code, which I have no idea what that does, and don't see any updates available for the mapping. When I first started the unit, I noticed the software was 2005, which seems a bit old to me, or maybe it was the Corona-goggles.

NC, I have one of those old "GPS UNITS" also, It is round, And always has worked..... I think they used to call them a compass :lol::lol::lol::cheers:

Besides, It never goes out of date and never needs an upgrade..............Enjoy your new toy :cheers: I hope you had a Very, Merry Christmas.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 a couple of months ago and it came loaded with the latest map(City Navigator North America NT 2008).

I think the best thing for you to do is call Garmin on the phone and ask what the latest maps they issue, and if you're entitled to get a free upgrade, although I doubt it....Normally Garmin charges $ 139.27 USD

You can check if you have the newest map here: http://www8.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

I believe I read on the Garmin site somewhere that map updates come out in the Spring. You may have the most current map that is available, but you can check back with Garmin regularly to see if it is updated.

I too have a Garmin C340, in the manual you will find that you can update the map software. It is free. or go to Garmin site and search there.

I think you misunderstand. Yes, you can download updated software free, but you have to pay for updated maps. Very similar to the Lexus NAV systems yearly upgraded DVD maps, except Garmins are a lot cheaper. BTW: Your Garmin C340 has been discontinued.....just like everything in electronics. :)

nc211,

One of the features you might appeciate is the ability to add custom POI files via an SD card.

For example, I've been doing genealogy research and documenting family grave locations. To make this easier, I loaded custom POI files that contain thousands of cemetery locations to make them easier to find.

I also downloaded POI files for a bunch of chain stores - kind of a joke but I currently have one alarm tone sound when I'm within about 2500 feet of a Target store and a different alarm tone sounding when I am within 300 feet of the store.

Some aftermarket GPS units allow you to supply MP3 files to use with your custom POI files - you could hear someone sing "'You Deserve a Break Today" everytime you are near a McDonalds. Guaranteed to drive the wife crazy.

I think Garmin has some free POI files on its website. Here is a website with a few free restaurant POI files: http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/restaurants/

There are lots of POI files for sale too and lots of GPS forums where members trade POI files. Google "POI files" and you will find a lot.

And my wife can't understand why I'm still around the lexus site, since we sold the car...she just doesn't understand! These are my kinds of folks! Thanks guys for all the information and help! DC, no worries man, I always know you're joking around! Oddly enough, the ole' compass tactic works better for the backroads I take into the office and such than this navigation gadget. It doesn't pick the backroads as a selected option, but rather wants to route me to the main roads, even when it's obviously not the best choice! Guess I need to update it with the "redneck mapping program". I do like the "unpaved" option, and will have to try it out soon.

After messing with the unit some more, following amf's link, and reading the online manuals and such, I realize that it does have the most up to date mapping program "the 2008". I'm suprised that it doesn't recognize the new highway extensions yet though, since they've been opened for quite a while, especially one that opened last spring. Oh well, time will fix it. 1990LS400, thanks for that link! I think I'm going to really enjoy this little thing! It will certainly come in handy when I'm on the road for business, especially around DC, Boston and NY. I knew I had to have one after renting a Hertz car that had it while in NJ. Took me right to the door, and back to the airport with not a single problem!

Does anyone know if the Nuvi200 is compatible for the traffic updates? It's the entry level model for the Nuvi series, so I'm doubtful, and can't tell from the website info.

And my wife can't understand why I'm still around the lexus site, since we sold the car...she just doesn't understand! These are my kinds of folks! Thanks guys for all the information and help! DC, no worries man, I always know you're joking around! Oddly enough, the ole' compass tactic works better for the backroads I take into the office and such than this navigation gadget. It doesn't pick the backroads as a selected option, but rather wants to route me to the main roads, even when it's obviously not the best choice! Guess I need to update it with the "redneck mapping program". I do like the "unpaved" option, and will have to try it out soon.

After messing with the unit some more, following amf's link, and reading the online manuals and such, I realize that it does have the most up to date mapping program "the 2008". I'm suprised that it doesn't recognize the new highway extensions yet though, since they've been opened for quite a while, especially one that opened last spring. Oh well, time will fix it. 1990LS400, thanks for that link! I think I'm going to really enjoy this little thing! It will certainly come in handy when I'm on the road for business, especially around DC, Boston and NY. I knew I had to have one after renting a Hertz car that had it while in NJ. Took me right to the door, and back to the airport with not a single problem!

Does anyone know if the Nuvi200 is compatible for the traffic updates? It's the entry level model for the Nuvi series, so I'm doubtful, and can't tell from the website info.

Who loves Ya Baby? I have a digital compass installed in the GS. Good enough....... :cheers:

I didn't find the traffic updates on my Streetpilot C550 useful, worthless really. Needless to say, I didn't renew after the 3 month trial was up.

It doesn't look like you can get traffic on the Nuvi 200:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?comp...areProduct=9160

We spent hundreds on our Garmin, only to find it didn't have our local streets on it. Their explaination was their software (mapsource which comes from navtech ... the same folks that provide the DVD's for our Lexus' GPS) isn't alwasy current (DUAH ??). But it may not be on the next version either, they said. So if we want to take the gamble and buy it anyways? SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS ! ! ! WHAT? Sheez !! you can get a micro GPS now days, the size of a flash drive, that'll sync with your GPS phone, which runs on FREE Google maps ... which are WAY current. These type of GPS's go for a meer $85. How in the WORLD is Garmin expecting to stay in business? That's how Bill Gates nearly ran Apple out of business ... by nearly giving his (admittedly) worse product away, on the cheep. Hopefully Garmin will learn before it's too late.

For what I'm going to use it for, back roads really don't matter that much. Here in my home town, I know the back roads, and how to "get around", but when I'm in DC, Boston, NY, etc., I'm not so sure I want to go the back-road route. I am a little dissappointed with the traffic stuff, but honestly, I agree with Blake and don't think the technology support to have traffic stuff actually work on these things is quite there yet. Kind of like the days before high speed internet became common in your home; you buy the most expensive and fastest computer on the market, only to be slowed down by 56k modem speeds.

I picked up a 200W for travelling and loaner cars and am happy with it. The technology is different than the OEM system in the Lexus and to be honest I like the system in the Lexus more but the Garmin is great for only $250.

No real time traffic on the 200, its pretty basic.

We spent hundreds on our Garmin, only to find it didn't have our local streets on it. Their explaination was their software (mapsource which comes from navtech ... the same folks that provide the DVD's for our Lexus' GPS) isn't alwasy current (DUAH ??). But it may not be on the next version either, they said. So if we want to take the gamble and buy it anyways? SEVENTY FIVE BUCKS ! ! ! WHAT? Sheez !! you can get a micro GPS now days, the size of a flash drive, that'll sync with your GPS phone, which runs on FREE Google maps ... which are WAY current. These type of GPS's go for a meer $85. How in the WORLD is Garmin expecting to stay in business? That's how Bill Gates nearly ran Apple out of business ... by nearly giving his (admittedly) worse product away, on the cheep. Hopefully Garmin will learn before it's too late.
Which Garmin and map version do you have?
For what I'm going to use it for, back roads really don't matter that much. Here in my home town, I know the back roads, and how to "get around", but when I'm in DC, Boston, NY, etc., I'm not so sure I want to go the back-road route. I am a little dissappointed with the traffic stuff, but honestly, I agree with Blake and don't think the technology support to have traffic stuff actually work on these things is quite there yet. Kind of like the days before high speed internet became common in your home; you buy the most expensive and fastest computer on the market, only to be slowed down by 56k modem speeds.
I wonder if the traffic updates would be more useful in a big city (like Boston, DC, Dallas, etc.)? :whistles:

I wonder if the traffic updates would be more useful in a big city (like Boston, DC, Dallas, etc.)? :whistles:

That traffic up there changes so quickly, I seriously doubt God himself could avoid a traffic jam! In DC, it's the fault of real estate goobers driving **03ES with cell phones stuck to one hand, and "hate'n" on G35 owners with the other! Anyone guess who I'm talkin' about??? Hahahaha....oh stevie boy... :ph34r:

LOL!

I have used the real time traffic in the LS460 and its cool. However, in DC the traffic always backs up the same places at the same times. So I know where it is depending on the time of day and can route around it myself.

That said, a traveler wouldn't have the same knowledge. I'd appreciate it on trips like going to Philly or NJ where traffic often backs up on 95 and its re-routable.

Which Garmin and map version do you have?

It's one of the newer (can't remember the model) Street Pilots with version 6 maps (which is about 2 versions ago) ... admittedly feature rich ... talks to you, etc . . . but My God ... not even one freebie update, which they can certainly afford when their products are on the pricy side. That's exasperating. My IN-Laws just introduced us to a GPS game, called Geocaching (You can Google it. It's played world wide). Lots of fun. The brite side for us is that at least the Street Pilot is portable and can run on batteries, and it shows coordinates in degrees, minutes & seconds north and south. THAT feature allows us to do geocaching, regardless of inadequate local streets.

I'd bet that newer software would help you out. My Streetpilot has the version 8 maps, and it has surprised me with the amount of new roads that it is able to find.

I bet it would. But with a bluetooh smart phone, that sync's to flash-drive sized portable gps (and GPS in the Lexus and our Toyota), it'd be hard to justify the additional $75 hit, for update software. The Samsung i760 smart phone uses google maping, and they stay pretty darn current.