A Slight Nav Problem

amf1932

I noticed that when I had my car a few months that the NAV system, on occasion, would show the position of my car in the wrong place on the screen. I brought my car to the dealers service dept. and was told that they were aware of this problem and they had to change the DVD disc to upgrade the firmware......NOT the mapping. This change was done, but yesterday, I programmed the NAV to go a short distance....about 15 miles away, and I noticed that the position of my car on screen was approximately 200 feet behind where it should have been. It should have indicated that I was in the intersection. I might add that sometimes the indications are correct.

I tested the same route on my portable Garmin Nuvi and the indications were dead on! Did anybody else notice that problem? I don't know what Lexus will do for me as far as correcting this glitch. :cries:

In an earlier discussion, I posted the following:

"I was intrigued by this answer and decided to check things a little further. I really think the Nav is off in the Lexus. I parked the Lexus side by side with my VW Touareg (with Nav) in my driveway as well as breaking out my Magellan handheld GPS. The Lat/Long coordinates relate as follows:

Lexus N33 30 21 W101 53 42

VW N33 30 36 W101 53 71

Mag. N33 30 363 W101 53 711

As you can see, the VW and the Magellan agree perfectly with the Magellan carrying the seconds to 3 digits, but the Lexus is off???

Does the Lexus have any calibration adjustment parameters in a situation like this?

We did notice in our test drive of another ES350 that when approaching an intersection where we were turning, the Nav did NOT give us a turn command for the actual right turn. If the Nav is off in its calibration, then maybe we had not gotten to the point that a command would have been activated?

I will ask the dealer about this at the 1000 mile check-up, but am interested in what you folks think."

Is the above similar to what you are experiencing??

Since that post, I have taken the ES in for the 1k checkup, and one of the things that I asked they check on was this Nav descrepancy. They replied that all was normal and they could not find any problem. My salesman gave me his new RX as a loaner and guess what....it showed the exact same position in my driveway that the ES did! So, I wrote this off as some technical descrepancy that I could not understand. If your current observation is similar, I now wonder again if there is some inherent problem?

Rick

So......what do we do now?

All I know is the NAV in the Lex cost mucho bucks more than my portable, so the least I could expect was great or greater

accuracy! :whistles:

I found this page in the Lexus Navigation Manual, but the question is, how come there are such inconsistencies between NAV's in different cars, especially since they're using the same satellites for positioning?

LexusNAVLimitations.jpg

Did you ever have that issue with your 03? I never have, nor have we in the Prius.

The system CAN be calibrated, but its complicated. Did the dealer try calibrating it? I think they can also manually adjust the location of the car a few ticks ahead if its consistently behind.

Did you ever have that issue with your 03? I never have, nor have we in the Prius.

The system CAN be calibrated, but its complicated. Did the dealer try calibrating it? I think they can also manually adjust the location of the car a few ticks ahead if its consistently behind.

No, I didn't have the exact same problem on the '03, but I still think the 5th generation NAV is head and shoulders above the 4th generation

Mainly because of the high resolution screen, and areas of accurate tracking.

So, after reading what it said in the NAV manual, as illustrated in my above post, I guess I shouldn't even mention this problem when I bring the car in for service. That also holds true for ALL the generations of GPS tracking devices, including the Prius.

I'd still ask the dealer if they can calibrate it and/or adjust the car's location.

I just did the tire calibration as per Navigation Manual, but I didn't drive the car yet......too cold! LOL I'll report back to see if that helped.

Car position can be manually calibrated - did it for my RX 350. Go into SETUP and 3rd page is calibrate option I think.

That's exactly what I did..........look at my above post.