Exhaust Leak!

davisnetworks

Exhaust Leak!

Ok, I noticed my Lexus LX 450 has an exhaust leak. Hopefully this is something simple to address. Should I be worried about anything? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks - David

Where's it leaking, and how'd you come across it?

It's pretty common for this vehicles to have kind of a high pitch whistle on accelleration, which I've read others attribute to and exhaust leak. I've got the whistle, but there's no other adverse side affects from it, so I've never really worried about it too much.

Exhaust Leak!

Ok, I noticed my Lexus LX 450 has an exhaust leak. Hopefully this is something simple to address. Should I be worried about anything? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks - David

Where's it leaking, and how'd you come across it?

It's pretty common for this vehicles to have kind of a high pitch whistle on accelleration, which I've read others attribute to and exhaust leak. I've got the whistle, but there's no other adverse side affects from it, so I've never really worried about it too much.

It is leaking in the front right of the vehicle. If you turn you wheels as if you where going to turn left and get out and look on the right under the wheel, you will notice that is where to exhaust system is running out. It sounds and smells terrible, you can tell it's and exhaust leak by the way it sounds. It started real slow and got worse. It is going in tomorrow for a checkup at a certified Lexus repair center. I don't know the particulars but will know by tomorrow evening. I will keep you posted... – David

From what I've read, leaks/cracks in the y-pipe (comes off the exhaust manifold and attaches to the cat.) are not all too uncommon. If you go the replacement route, it can be quite expense because I think it's sold as a unit with the cats. Seems like most opt to have the crack ground and welded shut. I doubt Lexus with propose that solution. I think also cracks can occur in the juntures where the exhaust manifold comes together. If this is where your leak is, maybe you can look into getting the same fix as mentioned for the y-pipe above.

Is you vehicle from the rust belt? I've heard of the bracketry rusting and falling off, and a crack developing in the y-pipe as a result of the assembly hanging free.

Regards,

Rookie.