Tranny Swap With A Supra Mkiv 6 Speed?

Hi, my name is Drew and I just bought a 92 SC400. I got it from the Toyota Dealership that I sell cars at. She has 191K miles, but still runs pretty strong. I dont plan on doing very many power mods that affect the engine (only magnaflow exhaust in the near future), but I would consider bolting a Manual Tranny to the wonderful 4.0 V8. I know the Supra Auto Tranny basically bolts up with a few mods, but can you do a manual swap for about the same headache (minus interior)? I just got out of a Twin Turbo Stealth and miss being able to precisely control my shifts. I know the Supra fairly well, but I don't know if there are any differences between the 2jzgtte auto or manual bolt patterns.

Another Question I have is how easy is it to tune up (cap/rotor, plugs, and wires)? Maybe even timing belt. I am thinking of tuning her just so I know where I stand as far as maintenance. I appreciate any and all insight.

ive read up on this a lot. none of the manual trannies from the supras just bolt up. to my knowledge this whole operation is pain in the !Removed!. 1. you will need to by the sc300 clutch pedal !Removed!. and everything that goes along with it, from lexus ($600-700), since ur probably not gonna find an sc300 5spd in a junk yard. Everything should just bolt right up. the clutch is the easy part. o yeah, and its also hydrolically driven.

2. need to find either an r154 or v160 tranny out of a supra 2jzgte or 7mgte. then you need an adaptor plate to mate the tranny with the bell housing. the adapter plates arent cheap, like $800 to $1200 dollars not cheap. go here for example => http://rushimports.com.au/index.php?cPath=22

3. now you have to trick the ecu into thinking its in neutral and have to cut one of the speedo sensors. Go onto lextreme.com/forums there are lots of threads on this. Ask your techs at toyota and get their input.

you can do the caps, rotors, plugs and wires easily. i did it one night. just unbolt the four bolts (i think 4) holding on that "v8 four cam 32 cover" and go from there. wire, plugs etc are all packed in there. as for the timing belt, you could do it. i dont doubt anyone. just get some advice from your techs first on what you'll need and what to expect.

I know im talking a lot but thats becuase i dont wanna here you fail lol

Advice: Do Not do any modding or manual swapping til you have that car checked out and have the maintenance done. and i mean all the maintenance. i used to work at lexus and i still paid 2 grand before i was done. The last thing you want to have is your car take a shiza on you right when your about to destroy a civic.

Good luck dude. Some day i hope to tackle to maual swap myself.

- kevin

• 3 weeks later...

yur gonna have to do a full rear end swap if you wanna go with the v160, which is not alot of work, just expensive and hard to find, but not just that, you'll have to do some extensive fab work to mount the thing to the v8 which its not made for, even with adapter kits such as this one, http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262872

a guy( i think it was scotturnot) is doing the swap right now using that adapter, he's documenting all his progress over on clublexus

You need to talk to Jibby on this site. He can and will answer all your questions. He's been there done that, and knows the SC 400 inside and out.