Rear Wheel Bearing Specs

qha_vn

Hi all,

i did some search but found no info. i need to replace rear wheel bearings both sides. I want to buy the bearings and take them to repairing shops. in order to buy the right one from bearing shops (say SKF), I need to know the specs of the bearings (the number codings indicate size of the bearing)

does anyone know what the specs are?

many thanks

That's funny I too am replacing the rear wheel bearings... I went to Lexus dealer and to my suprise one wheel bearing is $110... WOW...

As far as specs go I don't know...I've always just packed the bearing with wheel bearing grease. I first roll the bearings in the grease by hand..... I don't go skimpy on the grease. I then hand tighten the axle nut as needed..Then tighten slightly more and make sure there is no wheel wobble... Atleast one complete turn after hand tight is usually the case... That's what I will do...

After a month or two I double check the wheel to insure no extra play and tightness....

not sure if my question is clear enough, nobody answers :-(

I would say if you have the time for the car to be down, you could remove the bearing and the seal and take them to a bearing supply, or a mill supply business. They should be able to match the seal too. $110 for this size bearing is out of line. I bought a lot of bearings when I worked in a paper mill, and I would guess it should be more like $30.

thanks guys, my problem is that the rear bearings are still tight but make terrible sound at > 20mph and i cant afford to have my car down for a few days to remove the bearings and bring them to bearing shop

I would want to buy the things and get a shop to replace them in a few hours. thanks for the link but it cant help much, i cant find the specs needed

more help please

Well to insure that I got the right bearing I went to the Dealer... Got the bearing the same day...Going to install it myself today... I got a metal to metal noise at the bearing when driving...

Just about any mechanic can install a wheel bearing for you...It shouldn't take much time at all if you don't want to do it yourself.... It's really not a big deal...

Just remember to pack the bearings good with the proper grease if you decide to do it yourself....That's the key to longevity... Call the lexus dealer for torque nut specifications on the axle nut...I do it by feel which is not the right way to do it....Torque wrench with the specs is the way to go...

thanks a lot guys for your time helping me, but what I need is the number refering to size of the bearing which is normally printed on the bearing itself. in Vietnam we cant buy parts with the part number but either giving the shop the exact bearing size coding or show them the bearing

if someone has replaced hte bearing and still keep it, please do me a favor reading the code or best thing to post a pix with readable codes

I am sorry if this request for help is too much online :-)