Lincoln Aviator

LexKid630

Tonight i had the pleasure of taking a ride in my coworkers Lincoln Aviator, and believe it or not i was impressed! It was a 2003 with the navigation and everything you would normally find in a Lexus. She didn't let me actually drive it (she's a little on the protective side) but i don't think i need to, to like it. The ride was a bit "trucky" but i expected that for a larger SUV. And to my surprise, it was very quiet on the highway. The power was pretty impressive as well! For a woman driver, she's got a leadfoot!

I asked her how the reliability was, to which she stated she's never had a problem with it. :o She's owned it since new and has put ~60k miles on it.

Anyone else have any opinions/reliability comments about them?

Tonight i had the pleasure of taking a ride in my coworkers Lincoln Aviator, and believe it or not i was impressed! It was a 2003 with the navigation and everything you would normally find in a Lexus. She didn't let me actually drive it (she's a little on the protective side) but i don't think i need to, to like it. The ride was a bit "trucky" but i expected that for a larger SUV. And to my surprise, it was very quiet on the highway. The power was pretty impressive as well! For a woman driver, she's got a leadfoot!

I asked her how the reliability was, to which she stated she's never had a problem with it. :o She's owned it since new and has put ~60k miles on it.

Anyone else have any opinions/reliability comments about them?

Yes....

Never again...

First Ford was a '56 fairlane purchased used from Westside Ford in Seattle in '61. Last one was an '84 T-bird purchased new.

The only possible Ford in my future consideration would be a Mercury Mariner hybrid with VSC/Trac but with any luck by that time there will be a Lexus hybrid version of the RAV4.

No offense wwest, but if the last Ford you had was an '84 your opinion is meaningless. Ford vehicles have come a long way from the late '90s let alone the mid '80s.

LexKid, The Aviators are based on the Explorer, they're nice. The Aviator is also a very nice vehicle.

I'm not familiar with the Aviator, but when I was in Scottsdale, AZ a couple of weeks ago, I was using my son-in-laws '06 Lincoln Navigator with about 40k miles on the odometer. I was really surprised with the quiet, comfortable, ride...no rattles! It was great! As far as the gas mileage.........now that's another story. LOL :D

No offense wwest, but if the last Ford you had was an '84 your opinion is meaningless. Ford vehicles have come a long way from the late '90s let alone the mid '80s.

LexKid, The Aviators are based on the Explorer, they're nice. The Aviator is also a very nice vehicle.

Yes, and the Freestyle has been discontinued as has the T-bird.

The Freestyle hasn't been discontinued, its been renamed the "Taurus X" but its the same vehicle.

I'm not familiar with the Aviator, but when I was in Scottsdale, AZ a couple of weeks ago, I was using my son-in-laws '06 Lincoln Navigator with about 40k miles on the odometer. I was really surprised with the quiet, comfortable, ride...no rattles! It was great!

The Aviator was a short lived Lincoln version of the Explorer. Its since been replaced by the MkZ which is a Lincoln version of the Ford Edge crossover.

My father in-law has an 03 Navigator and its a great vehicle! He had some electrical glitches at first but they're ironed out and it still rides as good and tight as when it was new. All the interior materials have aged very well too.

Yes, and the Freestyle has been discontinued as has the T-bird.

Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention the Aerostar, probably of the time the absolute best R/AWD system, and certainly one of the first, discontinued after the '97 MY.

Thanks for your input guys, and it does remind me of the explorer!

Oh i can only imagine about the gas mileage :chairshot: I looked online and it states it gets sometihing like 13mpg in the city!?

Would you ever get one? If they still made the 03 body style (i don't like the new ones) i might consider one to toy with <_<

and it does remind me of the explorer!

It should, it is an Explorer ;)

How different is the aviator from the explorer? We both know that the explorer's aren't very reliable, but does that mean the aviator will most likely have the same problems? All i think about when i think of the aviator is that it's just an explorer with a different badge.

How different is the aviator from the explorer? We both know that the explorer's aren't very reliable, but does that mean the aviator will most likely have the same problems? All i think about when i think of the aviator is that it's just an explorer with a different badge.

That maybe true but that is also like saying all a RX is is a highlander with a different badge or a ES is just a camry with a different badge. I am not a fan of Ford products and would have no interest in the Aviator...don't like the looks, gas mileage is awful...but the MKX is sure one sharp looking SUV. My wife even said how much she liked it. The only dislike I have about that is the rear lights. I saw one at night and it just looks kind of goofy.

I have said I will never own another Ford, GM, or Jeep (Chrysler) unless things really change. I am starting to see now that the quality is improving on almost all of the newer vehicles...it had too. If I was considering a new SUV I think that I would take a look at the MKX...I think that the GMC Acadia is real sharp too. If Cadillac came out with an Acadia equivalent...I would also look at that. I hate the SRX.

Where did you hear about the Ford Explorer not being very reliable? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement. Ford motors are my background. We build mustangs for a living.

In 1998 Ford had the SUV roll over issue with the tire blow outs. Even though it was not a design flaw, it hit Ford hard. And they knew it was going to really hurt their image. So, rather than discontinue the Explorer, they made a decision to face the music and turned to the European Ford Falcon division and redesigned the entire vehicle. And, they used the 60 degree V6, although a very detuned version, downed to 210 hp from the 380 original hp design. The explorer was actually over built, and one of the best ever produced. The only issue that Ford seems to deal with is that they are still using frame over assemblies, and not unibody designs like most imports, hence the truckish ride. And if you ever pop the hood of the Ford, I really have to say, that they are very easy to access everything from spark plugs, to throttlebodys, and everthing in between. I just wish they had all the toys. Ford has the truck market by far. But in the car market, it's either granny luxo or raw mustang with nothing in between.

I had an 03 Ford Explorer with a Kenny Bell pushing 650 RWHP and knockin down 11 sec. 1/4 miles. My dad has a Mustang the runs high 7's, low 8's.

When it comes to motors, Ford has a great pool to pull from. I wish the Ford executives would roll up thier sleeves and put some real thought into the designs and products. That's what ails Ford.

Then there's the "blowing spark plugs out of the head" problem with Ford V-8's.

I have a '97 F150 with the 5.4 liter. Piece-o-crap. Last Ford product I'll ever own, and my family has been Ford people since the Model-T. Literally.

My sister in-law's company gave her a 1991 Explorer that had quite a few problems and died in 95 due to a severe accident. They gave her a new Explorer which had problems, including some mysterious front end shaking @55MPH right before its engine death in 2000 (couldn't have had more than 100k miles on it). In 2000 they gave her another Explorer that had MANY problems such as some engine whine that they couldn't find. Recently they gave her ANOTHER 07 Explorer to which they needed to have the transmission rebuilt within the first month she had it.

Thankfully she didn't have to pay a cent for any of them, or their problems.

My brother (her husband) has owned an early 90's, then a 2001 Camry which he still owns today going strong!

Every time we would go out with my brother and his wife, they'd always take the Explorer since they don't pay for the car or its gas. It always felt like it was going to break down, or fall apart.

THAT is why i think the Explorer is JUNK.

Yeah, I know, everyone knows someone with the nightmare car issue. I don't know how much I beleive that it is so manufacture specific anymore though. The Mazda Tribute gets great reviews, but is essentially the same as the Escape. The Bazda B-sreies pick up trucks are the same as the Ford Ranger, and now share the same platform with the Explorer, but those are great trucks, and Fords are not? Iv'e seen Ford Explorers with 250,000 miles on them and run just fine, with barely any service. But let me clearify, I'm not a proFord person. I just don't think Ford makes poor quality products. Kia made poor quality products. But I bet someone will jump up and say they owned one for 18 years and have 3 million miles on it and have never had a problem with it. Yeah yeah, whatever....I mean go to the 92-06 ES thread and read about the problems they are having. Does tha make The Lexus ES junk also then?

Where did you hear about the Ford Explorer not being very reliable? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement. Ford motors are my background. We build mustangs for a living.

In 1998 Ford had the SUV roll over issue with the tire blow outs. Even though it was not a design flaw, it hit Ford hard. And they knew it was going to really hurt their image. So, rather than discontinue the Explorer, they made a decision to face the music and turned to the European Ford Falcon division and redesigned the entire vehicle. And, they used the 60 degree V6, although a very detuned version, downed to 210 hp from the 380 original hp design. The explorer was actually over built, and one of the best ever produced. The only issue that Ford seems to deal with is that they are still using frame over assemblies, and not unibody designs like most imports, hence the truckish ride. And if you ever pop the hood of the Ford, I really have to say, that they are very easy to access everything from spark plugs, to throttlebodys, and everthing in between. I just wish they had all the toys. Ford has the truck market by far. But in the car market, it's either granny luxo or raw mustang with nothing in between.

I had an 03 Ford Explorer with a Kenny Bell pushing 650 RWHP and knockin down 11 sec. 1/4 miles. My dad has a Mustang the runs high 7's, low 8's.

When it comes to motors, Ford has a great pool to pull from. I wish the Ford executives would roll up thier sleeves and put some real thought into the designs and products. That's what ails Ford.

From the time I bought my first car....

No, actually it goes back farther than that.

The little Ford Ferguson was always my favorite farm tractor, Farmall second. My closest brother ALWAYS drove Ford cars.

My first purchase was a 1956 Ford Fairlane purchased used at Westside Ford in mid-1961.

I stuck by Ford until '91 when I abandoned my '84 Ford T-bird Elan for a new '91 Lexus LS400. I had ordered and placed a deposit on a Lincoln Mk xxx but when it arrived the dealer waited to increase the price.

IMMHO the low point for Ford was blaming the tire company for the Exploder's rollover tendency. It was Ford engineers that made the decision to lower the air pressure as a "fix" for the tendency of rollover and they should have taken the blame.

I still own three Fords, a 1993 Ford Ranger PU (I4/stick/130,000), a 1994 AWD Aerostar w/130,000 miles, and a Four Winds MH E350 V10.

But a new Ford,....maybe about 10th on my list.

Yeah, I know, everyone knows someone with the nightmare car issue. I don't know how much I beleive that it is so manufacture specific anymore though. The Mazda Tribute gets great reviews, but is essentially the same as the Escape. The Bazda B-sreies pick up trucks are the same as the Ford Ranger, and now share the same platform with the Explorer, but those are great trucks, and Fords are not? Iv'e seen Ford Explorers with 250,000 miles on them and run just fine, with barely any service. But let me clearify, I'm not a proFord person. I just don't think Ford makes poor quality products. Kia made poor quality products. But I bet someone will jump up and say they owned one for 18 years and have 3 million miles on it and have never had a problem with it. Yeah yeah, whatever....I mean go to the 92-06 ES thread and read about the problems they are having. Does tha make The Lexus ES junk also then?
It's nice to know that not everyone on this forum is a brand !Removed!! :cheers: I love how almost every anti Ford story starts the same way: "my aunt's neighbor's step sister's boy friend had a Ford XX as a company car and it was nothing but trouble." I'm sure he took great care of a car that he doesn't own or pay for.

It's nice to know that not everyone on this forum is a brand !Removed!! :cheers: I love how almost every anti Ford story starts the same way: "my aunt's neighbor's step sister's boy friend had a Ford XX as a company car and it was nothing but trouble." I'm sure he took great care of a car that he doesn't own or pay for.

That wouldn't be the same person, who is the best friend of my sister's ex-boyfriend who dated my neighbor's step daughter who saw Ferris Bueller pass out at 31 Flavors last night, was it? Hahaha... :cheers:

Ford is catching my eye lately. I like that beefed up Mustang, the Taurus looks clean and sharp, and if they're building the new focus/fussions on the Volvo 3/Mazda 3 frame, it'll be a great little car to drive too. Our Mazda 3 has some Ford in it, specifically the engine and tranny "stamped Ford underneath", and they're great! Honestly, and not to hijack this thread into one of the million others like it, but the American boys are turning it around, if you ask me. The new Tahoe is beautiful & would buy one in a hearbeat if I could afford it, even over the LX/GX/etc! Haven't seen the new Malibu yet, but it sure looks nice on TV. I've rented several of those Chevy-version PT Cruisers, and they drive great.

My neighbor "immediate neighbor, not twice removed/relocated by tornado/etc.." has a 04 Expedition that has been in the shop countless times for a leaking front axle "burrs chew up the seals". He's filed a suit against Ford for it, and might actually win. But, what does he want? ANOTHER Expedition, just one that doesn't leak. Now, that says something...

That wouldn't be the same person, who is the best friend of my sister's ex-boyfriend who dated my neighbor's step daughter who saw Ferris Bueller pass out at 31 Flavors last night, was it? Hahaha...:cheers:

Ford is catching my eye lately. I like that beefed up Mustang, the Taurus looks clean and sharp, and if they're building the new focus/fussions on the Volvo 3/Mazda 3 frame, it'll be a great little car to drive too. Our Mazda 3 has some Ford in it, specifically the engine and tranny "stamped Ford underneath", and they're great! Honestly, and not to hijack this thread into one of the million others like it, but the American boys are turning it around, if you ask me. The new Tahoe is beautiful & would buy one in a hearbeat if I could afford it, even over the LX/GX/etc! Haven't seen the new Malibu yet, but it sure looks nice on TV. I've rented several of those Chevy-version PT Cruisers, and they drive great.

My neighbor "immediate neighbor, not twice removed/relocated by tornado/etc.." has a 04 Expedition that has been in the shop countless times for a leaking front axle "burrs chew up the seals". He's filed a suit against Ford for it, and might actually win. But, what does he want? ANOTHER Expedition, just one that doesn't leak. Now, that says something...

That wouldn't be the same person, who is the best friend of my sister's ex-boyfriend who dated my neighbor's step daughter who saw Ferris Bueller pass out at 31 Flavors last night, was it? Hahaha...

Just made me spill my dam soda!!! LOL!!

There are only cosmetic differences, the Aviator IS an Explorer. Its not like the Highlander and the RX.

Explorers aren't so bad. I mean, they're not Toyota-reliable but my 97 is still trucking along (my parents use it as a third car) and it has like 190k miles. It needed a new tranny at 70k which was common for Explorers of that era, and its had its share of problems along the way but nothing so major that it would have made sense to replace it.

I would buy another Explorer. The 02+ model has shown itself to be quite reliable.

There are only cosmetic differences, the Aviator IS an Explorer. Its not like the Highlander and the RX.

Explorers aren't so bad. I mean, they're not Toyota-reliable but my 97 is still trucking along (my parents use it as a third car) and it has like 190k miles. It needed a new tranny at 70k which was common for Explorers of that era, and its had its share of problems along the way but nothing so major that it would have made sense to replace it.

I would buy another Explorer. The 02+ model has shown itself to be quite reliable.

I think were I in the market I would go for one of the OLDER Explorers made before they BALLOONED out the fenders, doors and body panels to make it look bigger than the Ranger PU wheelbase warrants.

So do you think if i went out and purchased an 04 Aviator, i would have the same or fewer pains in the @SS problems and costly repairs i would if i bought an 04 Highlander?

I just can't believe that :cries:

Well, I'll tell you what, go and drive an 04' Aviator. Then drive an 04' Toyota Highlander. And make the real decision for yourself.

I wouldn't say any car is better manufactured than another these days. There is just too much competition. No manufacturer can afford to have issues anymore. Most americans still remember the OLD Dodge days, when starters would fall off the cars, alternators would go bad quickly, and AMC transmissions would freeze up. So there has been this air of Honda makes a high quality car and Dodges fall apart in the driveway mentality far to long. Yes, there was a time when the gaps exsisted. But not so much anymore. I would say The Reliant K car closed that gap back in 85. And the real performer in history was not a Japanese make but a German made VW Beetle.

So, to answer your question, I think you have just as much a chance of having problems with the highlander as you do with the Aviator, they just may be different problems.

I guess because I have been so exposed to cars that I have come to appreciate cars on a different level. I guess you would be surprised to find out that Nissan sold cars in Austrailia rebadged as Ford ( the Nissan Bluebird was sold as a Ford Corsair, and the Nissan Pulsar was sold as the Chevy Astra. Toyota has a very checkered past as well. 1993 they won the Rally division world championship, and in 1995 were banned for 1 year for using illegal turbos, the biggest punishment ever handed down. In 96' they tried to make a comeback, but in 99 pulled out all together and no longer even race in that division. In the world Cart series, from 1998-2002, they never even led a lap until the last year when again they just pulled out, and no longer race in that division. In Formula 1, they have just dumped millions of dollars into that, and have no wins to show for it. Meanwhile, Ford's Lola division is kickin a$$ in Formula 1, and of course we all know what's happening to Toyota in Nascar right now. I know, your not buying a race car. But What it shows is that other companies have alot of technology and quality. Far more than what you will ever see on the dealership showroom floor. I kie the style and ride of my Lexus. I think the 2JZ inline 6 is the best engine Toyota ever made, besides the R22 4 cylinder that they no longer produce. The rest of the Toyota engine line is good, I wouldn't classify it as great or technology marvels that far exceed any other. And the trannies in these cars are weak!!!!!! A stock Ford tranny will hold twice the power of any Toyota tranny any day!!!!