Over Drive Not Working

coolwater

OD is not working on my 2000 ES300.

Currently Check Engine Light and Trac Off Light are both on.... and Over Drive is not working (OD button is ON position)

Recently repairs and maintenance include: 90,000 mile service was done at a local Toyota Dealer; Timing Belt, Drive Belt, Water Pump are replaced at the same Toyota Dealer; Mass Air Sensor replaced at a Lexus Dealer; Fuel injection cleaning done at the Toyota Dealer.....

Toyota Dealer said if the Check Engine Light comes on again, maybe the Knock Sensor has to be replaced as well... indeed, the light came on after I left the dealer. But, the mechanic at the Toyota Dealer didn't know about the OD not working thing.

I believe it's a transmission problem.... am I right???

Now, should I go to AAMCO???

Not necessarily, if the Knock sensor codes is up the car is put in mode that overddrive will not engage. You need to fix the problems of what is creating that code. What codes do you have???

OD is not working on my 2000 ES300.

Currently Check Engine Light and Trac Off Light are both on.... and Over Drive is not working (OD button is ON position)

Recently repairs and maintenance include: 90,000 mile service was done at a local Toyota Dealer; Timing Belt, Drive Belt, Water Pump are replaced at the same Toyota Dealer; Mass Air Sensor replaced at a Lexus Dealer; Fuel injection cleaning done at the Toyota Dealer.....

Toyota Dealer said if the Check Engine Light comes on again, maybe the Knock Sensor has to be replaced as well... indeed, the light came on after I left the dealer. But, the mechanic at the Toyota Dealer didn't know about the OD not working thing.

I believe it's a transmission problem.... am I right???

Now, should I go to AAMCO???

O/D depends on the engine being at "peak" performance so if there is a CEL it is locked out. Same with VSC, that is a default indication from a CEL, likely no actual VSC problem.

Toyota dealer....Kill the messenger, ignore the message...

Yes, the knock sensor "triggering" could mean a defective knock sensor, but it's more likely triggering due to any one of a myriad of problems that can result in knocking due to a too lean mixture under acceleration, a clogged injector, for instance.