2002 Front Pads For Ls430

golfer2813

just wondering how difficult it is to change the front pads on a 2002 ls430? Ihave done some others but don't know how complex the lexus system is .also are there any links to these instructions as I couldn' t find any. maybe I was searching the wrong areas. Thanks in advance

I have never put brake pads on an LS430 but I have put them on my 400. Piece of cake. Order factory pads from irontoad.com. Mine came directly from a Lexus dealer in Penna at half the cost. Still, factory pads are expensive but well worth the price. Lexus made it very easy and the hardest part is often removing the wheel. For that, use a pipe over your lug wrench.

I have never put brake pads on an LS430 but I have put them on my 400. Piece of cake. Order factory pads from irontoad.com. Mine came directly from a Lexus dealer in Penna at half the cost. Still, factory pads are expensive but well worth the price. Lexus made it very easy and the hardest part is often removing the wheel. For that, use a pipe over your lug wrench.

The following was taken from Moogy on Clublexus and I will be trying it as soon as my brakes come from IRONTOAD.COM thanks.

---

First, I want to extend a thanks to Tommy (lexiss_sc400) for answering any questions I had about replacing the brake pads myself. He gave me his phone number and was willing to talk with me on the phone to answer any questions I had. Very cool guy.

To open up, my 2004 LS430 now has all new brake pads.

I cannot believe how easy it was. By the time I was on the last tire, it was taking me roughly 10 minutes from start to finish (including removing and remounting the tire).

The disc breaks "slide out" on the LS430, and that's what makes it so easy (you don't have to remove the brake mounting) - so for anyone who is considering paying a Stealership the ridiculous $600-$700 they're asking, you can do it yourself in roughly an hour (two tops for people who work a bit slower) and $110 (cost of OEM pads). All you need is a good sized flathead screwdriver, a C-clamp, and a small pin-sized screwdriver (for pulling the guide rod pin and removing the sensor 'clamp').

I highly recommend anyone needing a pad replacement do it themselves - it really is that easy.

Before you start, remember to take the brake fluid reservoir cap off

1) Remove the Tire

2) Remove the 'pin' on the guide rod that holds the break pads in place - put it where you can easily find out

3) Slide out the guide rod (this will cause the "holder" to pop off) and put it next to the pin (holder too)

4) Remove the pad on the inside of the rotor (slide out like a drawer)

5) *for sensor only* pry off the clamp to the sensor and slide it out (put clamp with pin and rod, etc.)

6) Take the C-clamp and clamp just a little pressure on the brake closest to you to push the pistons back just enough to be able to slide it out

7) Remove the 2nd brake pad

8) Take the large flathead screwdriver (leverage position) and SOFTLY/SLOWLY ush the pistons back as far as they will go (this makes room for the new pads and their size) Be sure you push on the metal part of the O shaped pistons, not on the rubber seal

9) Take the 2 plates that are against the old brake pads and put them on the new brake pads

10) Slide the new brakes (with the plates) back in

11) *for sensor only* put sensor back in and put sensor clamp back on

12) Place the "holder" back on and while holding it, slide the "guide rod" back through (remember head goes towards the back)

13) Put the pin back in the guide rod to secure it

14) Put the tire back on

YOU'RE DONE!

When you're done with all wheels remember to put the brake fluid reservoir cap back on.

...I think baking a cake is MORE difficult than this... Hmmmm...

This info was really good to read. I always replace all my car's brake pads and was curious if replacing our newer LS430's pads would be easy or difficult like Mercedes pads are to replace. I replaced pads twice on two Mercedes we used to own and they were ungodly difficult to change, and that's coming from a guy that has been doing his own brake jobs for 35 years. In fact, I never did any work on either of our two Mercedes that wasn't at least twice as difficult as it should have been or took 3X as long as it should have :)