Do I Need New Front Struts/shocks?

90LS400Lexus

First of all, I did a search and 1000s of topics came up on springs/struts and I seen nothing really pertaining to my questions.....

I have not had my LS400 very long and have only driven it a couple of times. I have started to notice something. When on level grounds, the rear of my car seems to be higher than the front (no, it does not have the air suspension). Also, the front suspension seems to be low on "travel" and not really big on absorbing the bumps. When I press down on the front corners, the car really does not go down all that much. Its like the front suspension is too stiff and I want it "bouncy", but not too bouncy. I would like to just have it back like it was when it was new. I am assuming that OEM struts/springs would help, but I am not sure how much $$ this will encompass.

Strange, but my last LS400 was identical, so I am not sure if this is simply normal or not? I am wondering if perhaps my front springs and/or struts are needed to be replaced? I am wanting the softest/smoothest ride possible.

Now the steering it still fine... no unusual noises over bumps, like my old LS400 had.

Thanks.

Here are the only photos I have until my next day off... when the car is setting with the front uphill, it looks ok... I guess where less weight is shifted to the front... but on when on the level (next photo), its setting lower in the front.... you really cannot tell the difference unless you see the front/rear @ the same time, so I will get those photos later.

white91ls400.jpg

100_7699.jpg

Finally, here is a photo I took today....

Does my car seem to be too low in the front, in comparison to the rear? The front suspension is stiff (gives very little) and bottoms out on speed bumps - like there is very little travel.... I want a soft and cushy ride!

Thanks!

100_7714.jpg

not really no:)

looks allright to me. not sure how your car drives, but do this simple test, push the car down hard and check if its going to bounce few times, it just going to go down and back up.

if there is no bouncing, then your springs are still not dead, im not saying they are in a great condition, but at least they are not completely dead. but if when you drive your car feels lke its jumping and swerving every time you make a turn or change a lane, it might be the time to change your shocks.

Thanks VMF... As far as driving, it seems fine... steering tight. I have tired that test and the car is very hard to push down. It only goes down very little high heavy force! <_< There is no bounce at all. There is no jumping or swerving when driving, but I do feel alot of road bumps. I did not drive this car before I bought it. I had asked the PO had the cars ride was and he said it had a "floaty" ride to him.... I guess he was comparing it to a Jeep Wrangler. :rolleyes: Even the rear suspension is not as soft as I would like it to be, despite original struts on the back. Seems like everyone else always ends up with overly sofy cushy rides, where I get overly firm and harsh rides on EVERY Toyota make vehicle I have ever bought... ?? My last LS400 was just like this as well. :cries:

The front suspension seems to be the problem. When I first realized that something may be wrong, I drove the car to work. There is a small rounded out concrete gully (goes down about 4 inches) where we have to drive over on the parking lot. When the front of my car goes into the dip (very slowly), there is little motion from the suspension, yet it seems to bottom out. I have thought about drilling holes in the struts, but I am sure that would only make it worse.

looks allright to me. not sure how your car drives, but do this simple test, push the car down hard and check if its going to bounce few times, it just going to go down and back up.

if there is no bouncing, then your springs are still not dead, im not saying they are in a great condition, but at least they are not completely dead. but if when you drive your car feels lke its jumping and swerving every time you make a turn or change a lane, it might be the time to change your shocks.

Thanks VMF... As far as driving, it seems fine... steering tight. I have tired that test and the car is very hard to push down. It only goes down very little high heavy force! <_< There is no bounce at all. There is no jumping or swerving when driving, but I do feel alot of road bumps. I did not drive this car before I bought it. I had asked the PO had the cars ride was and he said it had a "floaty" ride to him.... I guess he was comparing it to a Jeep Wrangler. :rolleyes: Even the rear suspension is not as soft as I would like it to be, despite original struts on the back. Seems like everyone else always ends up with overly sofy cushy rides, where I get overly firm and harsh rides on EVERY Toyota make vehicle I have ever bought... ?? My last LS400 was just like this as well. :cries:

The front suspension seems to be the problem. When I first realized that something may be wrong, I drove the car to work. There is a small rounded out concrete gully (goes down about 4 inches) where we have to drive over on the parking lot. When the front of my car goes into the dip (very slowly), there is little motion from the suspension, yet it seems to bottom out. I have thought about drilling holes in the struts, but I am sure that would only make it worse.

I would agree with VMF that it might be time to change your shocks. If you push down on one corner hard enough, you should be able to get it to bounce. Once bouncing, if you let off, it should bounce no more than two times, then stop. Any more bounces than 2, you need to replace. No bounce, need to be replaced. However, your body does seem to be high. Compare with this photo of a '93 I was interested in buying.

93ls

I would agree with VMF that it might be time to change your shocks. If you push down on one corner hard enough, you should be able to get it to bounce. Once bouncing, if you let off, it should bounce no more than two times, then stop. Any more bounces than 2, you need to replace. No bounce, need to be replaced. However, your body does seem to be high. Compare with this photo of a '93 I was interested in buying.

93ls

By the way how do you post images on this forum? I tried the "upload" button in the "attachments" section but it was a nogo. Couldn't upload. The jpeg was 192k, way below the 2mb max.

I saved them on photobucket and posted the links here..... or you can resize and post them through the "browse" upload below.

By the way how do you post images on this forum? I tried the "upload" button in the "attachments" section but it was a nogo. Couldn't upload. The jpeg was 192k, way below the 2mb max.

Thanks. Actually the wheels are factory, as is the tire size. I looked at the struts on the front and rear and there are no unusual mechanisms under there.... they appear to be the original struts.

It appears from your photos that there is some kind of "lift" mechanism on the chassis of your car. As if the PO had larger wheels on it.