Upgrade Gen 2/3 To Bluetooth

Qpilot

I've seen your question asked several times on Lexus forums and don't remember anyone reporting success in adding the newer features you want to the older nav system -- but I could have missed it.

You could install an aftermarket Bluetooth kit (Nokia, Motorola, Parrot, etc.) and hook the mute wire from the phone kit to a "tele-mute" connection on either the audio system or the prewire harness for the Lexus phone. A kit like this would automatically mute your audio system when a phone call is placed or received. Attached is a portion of the audio system wiring diagram for a 2002 LX470. The tele-mute wire is indicated by "TMUT" on the amplifier.

1995-2000 LS400s and likely other pre-2004 Lexus vehicles have a phone connector with an audio system mute pin under the back of the center console. I do not know if the 02 LX470 has a similar connector but it might be worth taking a look.

Although it is possible to play the phone call through a door speaker, most people use a separate speaker and hide it under the dash. You will find various writeups on installing phone kits by searching on member name and the word "phone". "jainla" did a super detailed writeup on his aftermarket bluetooth kit install in his LS430. Blake918 installed a non-bluetooth phone kit in his 95 LS400 and I installed the same kit in my 2000 LS400. Whether Bluetooth or hardwired, the principles involved in installing a phone kit are the same.

2002_LX470_audio_diagram_page_2.pdf

I've seen your question asked several times on Lexus forums and don't remember anyone reporting success in adding the newer features you want to the older nav system -- but I could have missed it.

You could install an aftermarket Bluetooth kit (Nokia, Motorola, Parrot, etc.) and hook the mute wire from the phone kit to a "tele-mute" connection on either the audio system or the prewire harness for the Lexus phone. A kit like this would automatically mute your audio system when a phone call is placed or received. Attached is a portion of the audio system wiring diagram for a 2002 LX470. The tele-mute wire is indicated by "TMUT" on the amplifier.

1995-2000 LS400s and likely other pre-2004 Lexus vehicles have a phone connector with an audio system mute pin under the back of the center console. I do not know if the 02 LX470 has a similar connector but it might be worth taking a look.

Although it is possible to play the phone call through a door speaker, most people use a separate speaker and hide it under the dash. You will find various writeups on installing phone kits by searching on member name and the word "phone". "jainla" did a super detailed writeup on his aftermarket bluetooth kit install in his LS430. Blake918 installed a non-bluetooth phone kit in his 95 LS400 and I installed the same kit in my 2000 LS400. Whether Bluetooth or hardwired, the principles involved in installing a phone kit are the same.

Thanks for the info. I would love to have been able to find a Gen 4 system that i could hook up to my nav system and have all the new features. Not that simple I guess.

Qpilot

Here's the post that Jim is talking about.

The LX470 (at least post '01) seems to use some of the same connectors as the LS430; they are I believe behind one of the trim panels in the trunk. If you go into techinfo.lexus.com and search for "phone install" you should find the instructions for the IMPS or Dual Mode phone system which details the pinouts and the locations of the connectors.

While I haven't been able to prove it I suspect that the bluetooth functionality for later versions of those vehicles was added by using a bluetooth module that replaced the Dual-mode phone module; it might be worth contacting a junkyard or parts dealer to see if that phone ECU is available; I'd be curious to see if it worked in the pre-'04 models...